Logo

1976 360 Diestributor Gear

"After having my 1976 Chrysler

"After having my 1976 Chrysler 360 rebuilt, the mechanic went belly up and lost the distributor gear for the engine. I thought I ordered the correct one a few years back, but now that I am reassembling the engine, I find that the new Mallory distributor does not quite engage the slot in the drive gear when it fits flush with the engine block. This is a CW rotation engine (viewed from water pump end). The gear turns CW as it should. I see two different part numbers for normal and reverse rotation. The other engine(CCW) has a shroud around the base of the distributor to keep the gear in place and it fits fine with the same Mallory distributor. Is the standard (CW) rotation engine's gear slightly longer? Does the shaft bushing called out in the parts manual actually raise the gear? There is no slop in the gear as I insert it so I assume the bushing is in place. I am guessing I can probably buy the auto version of the gear since this engine is standard."

".."Is the standard (C

".."Is the standard (CW) rotation engine's gear slightly longer?"

The reverse rotation motor distributor--with that special adapter--is the one that's longer.

..."Does the shaft bushing called out in the parts manual actually raise the gear?"

Don't know what that is, but the reverse rotation distributor is taller. This is because the added piece (see photo) raises the distributor. Its purpose is to push down on the oil pump gear, to keep the gear in place, since the side thrust is trying to lift it up. (The thrust on the normal rotation motor is downward.) By necessity, the distributor shaft has to be longer to account for that added piece.

I hope the attached photo helps explain how this suet up works.

Jeff

Jeff
292619.jpg
"

"This is very strange. It appe

"This is very strange. It appeared to me that the distributor gear is taller to make up for the reverse rotation housing that is added. According to Mallory, both rotation distributors are the same length. I bought the same one for both and the one in the reverse rotation housing fits perfectly, but the one without the housing is not long enough to meet the drive gear slot, yet the housing of the distributor sits flush with the engine. Not sure what to do now."

Does anyone know the exact len

Does anyone know the exact length of the distributor drive gear on a Chrysler 360 (circa 1976) standard rotation engine (the one without the thrust bracket)? I will pull mine and see why it is too short to reach the distributor.

Resolved... It turns out the d

Resolved... It turns out the distributor drive gear was made incorrectly. The gear was not pressed far enough onto the shaft. This caused the female slot to be recessed too far into the gear to make contact with the male portion of the distributor. I wacked the gear a little further down onto the shaft and things are fine now.... another problem solved with a hammer... a little scary.

"Good for you! And, yes, the

"Good for you! And, yes, there's nothing a good whack with a hammer can't cure.

Jeff"

"Glad you figured it out Ed, I

"Glad you figured it out Ed, I couldn't find a drive gear here at the shop and, as it turns out they are no longer available ( Nice to know ) I was going to call you tonight but saw your post here so resolved is good! Enjoy the weekend!
Dave"

Back