Logo

Over flow bottle for outdrive

hemipwr1

Hi

Having a problem with

Hi

Having a problem with overflow bottle for outdrive it keeps overflowing yes overflowing!!!

I have emptied bottle twice to proper level and now its up to the lid again.

When i filled the outdive beginning of season from bottom up and to top screw and the bought oil up to full line on bottle!!!

Any ideas!!on problem????

The recommended gear lubes don

The recommended gear lubes don't expand that much. Something has got to be displacing the lube or its getting super hot to expand that much (borderline boiling). I'd think the lack of water is good....what about the color and odor of the gear lube?
How often to you 'remove' lube and how much? How's the operating temperature been?

the operating temp is 160 neve

the operating temp is 160 never changes much color is blueish and no burnt smell.

i change fliud every year and use around 1 1/2 quart and then top off bottle

"Ayuh,.. It sure as 'ell

"Ayuh,.. It sure as 'ell ain't Makin' Oil...
It Must be gaining Water then..."

"I'm with you, Bondo....

"I'm with you, Bondo....

Joe - how long does it take to 'overflow' the bottle, and when was the last time the plug was pulled?"

"If it was gaining water(w

"If it was gaining water(which i thought too) then it should be milky color and when i drained it, it was normal color.

If there was water in oil would it not burn up outdrive? I'm using merc HP OIL

Not sure how long just drained bottle last night and will use it this week and see how long"

how long have you had the boat

how long have you had the boat?

Is this something new or has it been recurring?

Anything else changed since the issue started?

Had the boat since 02.

It i

Had the boat since 02.

It is something new never happen before.

Nothing new just replaced gimball bearing beginning of season and regular service!!!

"Do you know someone that woul

"Do you know someone that would add a pint to your OD just to drive you nuts?
question.gif
"

No Way !!I have pitbull standi

No Way !!I have pitbull standing guard LOL

I wish it was that easy!!!!!

I'M taking it out this evening and see what happens!!!!

"I'd check to see that tha

"I'd check to see that that outdrive has the proper amount of oil in it. Perhaps the connection between the outdrive and the gimbal housing is acting as a check valve and pushing the oil into the resevoir and leaving the drive somewhat empty. When it fills up again, remove the hose from the resevoir and drain it. Then remove the outdrive so the ball valve seals the drive, remove the drain screw on the bottom, then the top one to drain the drive. See how much oil is actually in there and compare it to what Merc says you should have in the drive."

"Is it a Bravo or Alpha drive

"Is it a Bravo or Alpha drive ?
If it is a Bravo and the engine takes cooling water thru the hull and the water supply from the leg is blanked off, Make sure the hose from the bell housing to the transom plate is cut and a section removed. This allows cooling water to flow thru the leg and cool it. See the Mercruiser sterndrive installation manual, page 65.

This often gets overlooked and the gear box overheats."

Back