Logo

Can anyone ID this engine

chriscj1952

"I recently purchased a used e

"I recently purchased a used engine for a boat project. The seller believes its an OMC based on the orange color, he removed it from a damaged Chris Craft.I am rebuilding the engine and would like to know the original HP, torque, CR and anything else of value. It is a 454 GM, came with a 1:1 older,I believe, 1017/001 model velvet drive. Think its based on a GM truck engine. the following is what I have been able to determine so far:
1) 4 bolt main block casting# 14015445, GM F099 I
believe is the casting date, don't have a clue as to the next one: GM 3P CFO

2) 7/16" pushrods, 8.27" intakes and 9.25 exhaust
with manley guides

3) cast iron oval port heads, casting# 14092360
with screwed in rocker studs

4) cast iron GM intake manifold casting# 333841

5) i am guessing the crank is cast with# N353039,
casting date K283?

6) forged I beam connecting rods

7) flat top aluminum pistons with valve reliefs,
#1 and 8 pistons have a circular depression in
the top, purpose of which escapes me.

8) it is fresh water cooled

9) 4V Quadrajet

10) Delco Remy electronic distributor.

11) hydraulic lifters

I plan to assemble the engine myself after minimal
machine work as it appears to be in very serviceable condition, so far only on a visual assessment, with the pistons the only mandatory replacement due to a couple of cracks plus the routine bearings and such. The heavy duty components,it would seem, would make an unbreakable 375-400 HP engine with reasonable $ investment so it would be nice to know the pedigree of the motor even though a decent mechanic for a price I am sure could tell me.
Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated."

78 to 90 BBC 454 inch 4.250 bore standard deck block. 353039 craNK IS A STANDARD CAST STEEL ld PICKUP AND PASSENGER CRANK. GOOD FOR UP TO 450 hp. 333841 INTAKE is the same intake that is on my 69 427 390 horse corvette and is shown as 396-454 Gen IV large oval port. Its good for ~425 to 450 HP on a 454 easy. Surprisingly, it is not shown in my GM part numbers crossover ID manual, but when I looked mine up in the web search, it led me to this site. Your pistons should all match. Get them replaced with a set that do. KB Hyperuetictic are OK, Forged are better. Depends on how hard yo plan to rag it. PUT ARP Rod Bolts IN!!!!!!! Did I mention putting in a set of rod bolts - PUT a SET of ARP Rod Bolts in it. Even if you have dimple rods with 7/16 bolts. I think yours will be just standard 3/8. Those rods are good. They are strong. Just upgrade the bolts. The Chevy nuts will eventually strip. They will do so at the most inopportune, and most costly time!! You have a good Gen IV motor, capable of building a great daily runner of 450 to 500 HP max unless you want to upgrade crank and rods, heads and intake. With the parts you have, you should be able to easily get into the 425 to 450 horse 6000 RPM range, making 8.5 to 9.0 to 1 compression and pump gas friendly motor that will run forgivingly all day long all summer without more than oil changes for maintenance!. Decent set of parts!

Highly recommend POR-15 engine enamel for finishing. por15.com.

I did two coats on my Ford and it came out beautifully. I sprayed but you can brush it as well and it will come out just as nice. Nice thick dense rich color. Does not drip or run.

I have an aluminum Crusader oil pan for it if you need one.

Dennis Moore has published two excelllent marine engine books that go into great detail on both the SBC and the BBC for Marine use.

If you can beg, borrow, steal or check out from a library, his "Big Block Chevy Marine Performance" book, it may help you with some of your decisions. He goes into detail on casting numbers to use and to steer clear of.

51V3NYMYH8L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Back