Logo

Where did the Oil Go

joel8080

Contributing Member
"Have a 350 XL that is loosing

"Have a 350 XL that is loosing a quart every 50 miles, I cant find where its going, Maybe a 1/2cup of oil in the bilge, It sits on a trailer and we ran the engine with a hose in the wash out system, no oil in the exhaust, Engine runs well but after 1/2 hour at cruise it drops to 30/35 lbs of oil pressure. Had a leak at the remote oil filter replaced the hoses and no leaks there.
Can it be the oil is bad I am using Casteroil HD 40 wt. The Temp is perfect and the engine has plenty of power. I was using Rotella but it's hard to find here. Any ideas.

Joel"

"Pull the plugs and note their

"Pull the plugs and note their color. If not very light gray to white, it's burning it.

Jeff"

Will check tomorrow and will l

Will check tomorrow and will let you know what I find. Another note there is no oil on the surface of the water when I'm at the dock or any smoke.

Joel

"I have some leak detector dye

"I have some leak detector dye for this work. You will also need a UV illuminator, like a UV led or UV flourescent lamp."

"Checked the plugs and they we

"Checked the plugs and they were as perfect, there was no Oil in the water, the only thing I found was very light oil film on the back of the engine but I could not find any oil any where else.

HELP'

Joel"

"It isn't evaporating...so

"It isn't evaporating...so its either leaking out or its going out the exhaust. If its not in the bilge and it isn't being burnt, I'd have to suspect the oil cooler leaking. It may not be leaking fast enough to cause a sheen at idle. With today's $$ for petroleum, its worth doing the pressure check since not much else is on the list."

"Is any way that oil could exi

"Is any way that oil could exit the exhast but not as smoke, as oil... I had over filled and thought I was seeing oil in water from exhast..."

"If the oil cooler leaks "

"If the oil cooler leaks "internally", it is highly likely to be in the exhaust, placed there by the raw cooling water."

"You'd see oil in the wate

"You'd see oil in the water flowing out of the exhaust port - usually, depends upon how the oil cooler failed.

If its a small crack, it may not pass the oil until it gets hot. The oil side almost always has more pressure so any void will let oil "out". "Out" pretty much is limited to the raw water passage, except around the hose connections."

"Sorry I did not get back soon

"Sorry I did not get back sooner been away on a trip. What we found was a small crack 1/4-3/8 inch in the oil dip stick tube and also my gland nut packing need to be replaced and was taking in a little water when under way it pumped into the ocean and standing still it did not leak, just repaired both and looks like it's a fix was going to test it today but we have had a rain storm all day so we decided not to launch the boat till Thursday. I hope we solved the problem."

Back