Logo

Cusader 270 will not take high thottle at times

cubbypa11

"The Starboard engine will run

"The Starboard engine will run fine at 3000 RPM for about 20-30 min. then it will loose RPM/power and I can only maintain 1800-2100 RPM's. If I add throttle it will spudder and miss and the RPM will drop off untill I reduce the throttle. If I run it at the lower RPM for a while 20-30 min. it will take throttle again (maybe). The next time out it might not do it at all with 3 hrs of running, then next time do it. Port engine runs fine.

I have replaced fuel filters, checked tank for water, replaced carb. replaced fuel pump, ran off port tank.

Fuel problem? maybe vapor lock? ignition? this is very baffling. Any thought, something I am missing? Thanks"

A long shot but swap the coils

A long shot but swap the coils between port and starbord. You may have a coil that is getting hot and breaking down. when you back off it cools.

"Sounds like fuel starvation t

"Sounds like fuel starvation to me.

Is your fuel filter located BEFORE the fuel pump? Only coarse filters and water separators should be located before the pump, with fine filters AFTER it (where higher pressure can force gas through instead of creating a vapor lock).

I see this done all the time, both by the factory, and by by "mechanics" who don't know any better. The result is Russian Roulette, especially with the ethanol gas we're stuck with (thanks Washington!). It, and some bad gas, can cause a slug of crud that can plug a filter very quickly.

Jeff"

Definately check the anti-siph

Definately check the anti-siphon valves. They screw into the outlet fitting at the tank. All they are are hose barbs with a ball inside. That ball collects tank crud and blocks the line. I removed them all together and put straight barbs.

"Ok, thanks for all the good a

"Ok, thanks for all the good advice, I checked all the above and it still did it. While I was running the boat rackking me brain arrrrrrr! I touch the ignition fuse holder on the dash and it was warm, I gave it a couple of good twisted and walla the engine started running good.

I took it apart and cleaned it up. Ran great yesterday for 2 hrs. Electrical, all this time I thought fuel. Thanks again."

Back