Logo

Nissan NS25C

hd4ou

"1999 25 hp Nissan. 1st issue

"1999 25 hp Nissan. 1st issue. this engine has always been kinda funny acting. When i first launch it all is well. runs fine gets on plane as best it can. its no powerhouse as its on a 16 ft alumaweld boat. get to where I am going and tie up to fish. Now I can sit there for 15 mins or 5 hrs and when I restart it, it starts fine and runs ok but it will not get on plane at all. Any idea on this one?
2nd issue. pulled the prop and ordered a new shaft seal. After many bad 4 letter words finally got the old seal out. Now several weeks later as i am ready to put it back together i cant remember which way that brass piece between the prop and the gear housing goes in. can anyone tell me?"

The spacer on the prop has one

The spacer on the prop has one side that nests inside the propeller. I would run the engine by a dealer and have it checked as there are many possible causes for that kind of problem.

does it sound like some type o

does it sound like some type of electrical issue like a coil breakdown or something else? what kind of test can i do myself?

"It could be electrical, but &

"It could be electrical, but "not getting on plane" is a broad symptom with virtually unlimited possible causes. You have three primary engine systems that have a variety of parts that can fail:

Ignition
Mechanical
Fuel

You pick one system, pull out your service manual and start testing that system for errors. I would start with the fuel system as 90% of problems are related to the fuel itself or the system the delvers it to the combustion chamber."

there are probably several so

there are probably several so called service manuals for this engine. would you mind suggestion which one and where to get it. dont mind spending a little more if its a better manual.

"I would pick up the factory m

"I would pick up the factory manual, which is available from any Nissan or Tohatsu dealer."

mine was doing the same thing

mine was doing the same thing about 3 weeks ago. I figured out the spark plug wires would get wet when i would stop from water splashing back on the motor and making its way past the gasket on the lower cowling(mine is dry rotted). I replaced the wires and boots and sealed it all with spray electrical tape in a can. It has been about 3 weeks of using the boat every other day or so and I haven't had another issue. Start with the samll things first like checking your wires and coil for damage. I fixed my motor for less than 20 dollars when I originally planned to buy a new coil for 70 dollars that wouldn't have even solved the problem.

Back