Logo

Volvo penta sterndrive part needed

firefighter102

I have a 5.7 engine with a Vol

I have a 5.7 engine with a Volvo Penta out drive unsure of model it is on a 1978 Chris Craft Lancer I was told it should be an AQ ??? I need the flywheel Bell housing(cover) it has a shaft the runs from the motor to the gimble mount. to turn the out drive. i have one from a 4.3 v6 that fits the engine but it is too short(about6-10 inches) Any help is appreciated.

"Yes, this would very likely b

"Yes, this would very likely be one of the AQ series drives!

Sounds as though you have the extended Primary Drive Shaft housing. This is a Borg Warner pattern/Volvo Penta adapter unit that was manufactured by Holman Moody, Glastron, Eaton, Marine Power and a hand full of others! These are becoming more difficult to find these days.

The length difference should be more in the range of 3-1/8".... not 6", unless this was a special application! Hmmmm!

The use of these moved the engine forward enough to change hull characteristics. If originally set up this way, you'd best go back in with the same length unit.

What is wrong with your PDS Housing?
Can it be repaired?
I've had new bellows snouts TIG welded onto these before (if that is what the issue is).
You may be able to use a donor OHC 4 cylinder Flywheel Cover for the piece you need if the bore is same ID. If not, then a machinist can make one for it.
The alignment for the rubber bellows is not that critical...... a good machinist can do this!

Good luck!

."

"Well I purchased the boat as

"Well I purchased the boat as a fixer upper. The preivious owner said that there was a freeze plug problem and he pulled the motor to fix it. the boat came with black bellhousing with 6 threaded studs on it.I thought it was the wrong one. Then I bought this one off of ebay it was for a 4.3 v-6 which is the same bolt patteren as a 5.7 v-8. I have been looking at other fourms and found this picture

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV2LS_Si

I believe that this would bolt up the the black bellhousing that I got with the boat. Now dose anyone have one that I might be able to get relativly cheep to try it out and see if it is the right one?"

"Chris, I have a small V/P rep

"Chris, I have a small V/P repair biz. I know these drives fairly well.
Let's get on the same page here with the language:

**The part that bolts directly to the rear of the engine (mistaken for a Bell Housing of the auto world) is the "Flywheel Cover".
**The adapter shown is a Borg Warner/Volvo Penta Primary Drive Shaft Adapter.
(the FWD side is a Borg Warner bolt pattern using the B/W shaft splines for the B/W spline "drive coupler". they all work together and can still be found today with many I/B set-ups!)
**The shaft inside of this is a "Primary Drive Shaft".... (it connects to the transmission shaft female "Yoke").
**The part that bolts to the flywheel (that the PDS slips into) is a B/W spline "drive coupler".

The image that you show is indeed one of the extended PDS adapter housings. Very common in those days.... but not now.
Holman Moody, Eaton, Glastron, M/P...... they just about all measure the same 3 - 1/8" longer than the Volvo Penta!

I'm not sure what you are after, so I'll ask again; What is wrong with the PDS housing that would have been with the boat?
Is this part missing?
Is this part broken?

."

"well I have found a guy with

"well I have found a guy with one but he wants $500 for it... and will not take in the old bell housing that I have on trade... I just dont have that kind of money right now... any help finding one that is cheeper or someone that can do a trade in or if anyone wants to buy my bellhousing so I can get some of the money back I spent on it. I am aking $250 + shipping cost($25 or so) thanks,
chris"

"this is the one I have it wil

"this is the one I have it will fit a 4.3 v-6 or a 5.7 v-8. i am aksing $250 plus shipping for it.
293656.jpg
flywheel cover

"As I read his email, he needs

"As I read his email, he needs a PDS (the blue thing), not a flywheel cover. While he could conveivably use that flywheel cover in his Lancer, the hull was designed by a very bright designer (Jim Wynn) to have that engine more forward by the 3-1/2 inches additional length of the PDS. In addition, if he went to the flywheel cover, he would have to relocate the engine mounts. Unfortunately, the engine mounts on a Lancer are to the stringers (not unusal) but the stringers are hollow fiberglass, with a reinforced area/steel plate imbedded in it. Moving the engine back may cause more than a few problems. I actually have an extra PDS in the back of my shed somewhere.

FYI... While Lancers had Volvo drives (most likely a 250 drive), they did not come from the factory with Volvo engines. From the factory, they came with ChrisCraft engines in a "bobtai" configuration, i.e., plain vanilla inboard, not sterndrive configured. "

"Robert, that is correct!
I

"Robert, that is correct!
I was responding to his 4th post. I had asked him which flywheel cover he was selling!

What he needs now is a Borg Warner pattern/Volvo PDS adapter housing..... The Holman Moody -slash- Eaton -slash- Marine Power style. It sets the engine forward by 3-1/8".
Apparently, this is holding him up from installing his engine.
I recently sold the last/only one that I have had in a while.
Do you know where he can find one?
."

"I do have one in the back of

"I do have one in the back of my shed. I'm having back problems these days which have pretty much slowed me down more than I like to admit and I have a 2BBL MERC TKS carb sitting on my bench in the cellar that needs cleaned (other wise da motor no go round 'n round.... f$%k#@g ethanol!). That said give me a few days to get to the PDS and see what shape it's in. I don't really need it and I was keeping it for a "spare"... however, the shed is getting crowded with "spares" (250 drive, 200 something series shield, a 3" Y pipe w/dual reliefs and a supposedly Ford/Borg Warner bell housing) and I need the room. Getting to be time here on the Jersey shore in a month or so to put the patio stuff in the shed."

"Robert, those are some nice o

"Robert, those are some nice older boats. The one orange on white one looks very similar to the Formula 233 that I once owned.

We should start a "Show n Tell" thread! LOL "

"Thanks for the links. I will

"Thanks for the links. I will have to get some pictures of mine after I get it restored.

My out drive is light blue don't know if that meens anything I know you said that the out drive would be a plain vanilla color. However I do have an extra outdrive that is the vanilla color. The previous owner bought it and when I bought the boat he threw it in.

This is very new to me. I normally restore cars and fire trucks but my wife wanted a boat and I found this one on craigslist and I fell in love with it. With it having a 350 chevy engine I knew I could work on it, well at least the motor. Just let me know when you find the PDS and let me know how much you want for it.
Thanks,
Chris"

"You have a WIFE who wanted a

"You have a WIFE who wanted a BOAT? You lucky dog, you!
Chris, You made a good choice....... the Volvo Penta drives are among the best designed and easiest to work on!
You post any questions that you may have.... one of us will help you and walk you through it!"

"RE: "You have a WIFE who

"RE: "You have a WIFE who wanted a BOAT? You lucky dog, you!"

As am I.... actually my wife bought the Lancer a couple of years before we married. We had just had a very bad summer of sailing, either too hot and no wind, or waaaay too much wind. She found the ad for the boat in the paper and said... "There's a Lancer for sale, didn't you used to own one?" That's her in the third picture down in the left hand column on the Classic Lancer website Owner photos. She likes to fish and sail as well :)."

Ok here is an update.
I sold

Ok here is an update.
I sold the wrong flywheel cover on ebay and bought the extended primary driveshaft housing on ebay. However when I took the old flywheel cover off I distroyed the flex plate or clutch looking part that was bolted to the flywheel any one have one

"Yes! It is called a "driv

"Yes! It is called a "drive coupler". I have them.
Contact me via email. Just click on my user name, and it will take you there.
Rick"

Another update... still no pro

Another update... still no progress really to speak of. I bought the Primary driveshaft housing off of ebat but when it arrived it was badly damaged. the bellows snout was distroyed and the driveshaft was missing... so I am still looking for another one. or any cheep volvo penta flywheel cover/ primary driveshaft housing that I can cut off the bellows snout to weld on to my damaged housing.

"Chris, did you receive the d

"Chris, did you receive the dimensions that I emailed you? Are you not having a snout machined for this?

."

"yes I recieved the e-mail, bu

"yes I recieved the e-mail, but I took it to the machine shop and they want $400 just in labor not including materials. that is too much to spend they said it would be $100 or so if I had the snout... The best case would be to find a good one..."

Back