Logo

1983 bayliner

rossbrown

"Hello. I purchased a 1983 Bay

"Hello. I purchased a 1983 Bayliner with an AQ 125 A motor three years ago, replaced all fluids, gear lube, timing and drive belts. I then stopped working on it for 2 years. I put it in this summer and it ran rough at first, then I added the Pertronix ignition and it ran much better, but I still only got 2300 rpm. The boat ran well, planed right out (Whale tail) I see the prop is a Michigan PR226, cannot find the cross reference for this. Two questions. What is this prop's size? Also, is there a way to increase the idle at dockside to warm up the engine? I seem to remember something about pushing or pulling out the lever that will not engage the drive. I would appreciate any help I can get. I read many of the forums topics while recovering, and it helped me to get back on my feet. If you love the water, you never forget. For a moment I was 11 years old again crusing the Detroit river in my homemade Hydroplane powered by my 5 hp Sea King. It was great, I really want to go out again but I don't want to hurt the motor. Any advice is greatly appreciated."

"Ross, there is no choke on th

"Ross, there is no choke on these engines. I warm mine up at high idle 1200 rpm. To do this and not engage the outdrive you have to put the throttle in neutral. To do this push in the button on your shifter/throttle base. It is located in the center of the round part of your throttle handle. NOTE: It is not the button you push to engage forward and reverse. Just step back and look at where the throttle is mounted to the hull you'll see it."

"Casey, thank you. It's ri

"Casey, thank you. It's right there as you said. I had just bought this boat before I got sick and it sat for two years, so I know very little about it. I also found out the PR 226 is a 14 x 17 rh propeller. I hope the 2300 rpm reading is a mechanical problem. I ordered a new digital tach and I will verify the reading. I am at 1/2 the WOT reading, but the boat is planed out nicely and scooting along well. I thank you again."

"Ross,

You are correct on t

"Ross,

You are correct on the prop's size.
Michigan PR226 is a 14 3/8 x 17 RH cupped.
This is a discontinued prop(i have the same prop on my 17.5 ft Bowrider)
To replace this prop: Volvo part#814632 (14x17)
#814631 (14x15) or a #814633(14x19)
Good luck"

Back