Logo

Burnt water pump drive belt

joe_h

"I have a 2004 Albin 28TE with

"I have a 2004 Albin 28TE with a Volvo KAMD 300. At approx 20+/- hours I keep throwing water pump belts. The belt design is flat with multiple grooves. When removed the belt appears burnt (the burnt side is hardened with multiple cracks). Nobody at Volvo seems to be able to offer any advice. Each time I replace a new belt I tighten it to required tension and make sure I've cleaned the drive pully with a wire brush after which I apply with a small amount of WD40. Has anybody experienced this problem and if so could you recommend a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Joe H Scituate, MA"

"G'Day Joe,
The

"G'Day Joe,
The only possible solutions i could suggest are.
1. Check belt correct dimensions.
2. Check all pulleys in circuit for burrs +other rub points close to belt track.
3.As you mention wear on one side of belt ; i would be checking all running lines with a straight edge.
4.check pulleys for axial run out using a dial gauge or staight edge off a fixed point.

GOOD LUCK,

Shakey."

"Doug,

Thanks for the quick

"Doug,

Thanks for the quick answer. You live in a beautiful country. My wife and have visited Australia 3 times since 2000. Long flight from the East coast of the USA.

Regarding your reply.

Item 1. Purchased belt direct from Volvo. Assume the dimensions are correct.
Item 2. Have checked and cleaned pulleys with wire brush and fine sandpaper. Think I caught everything. I will check what might be other rub points.

Items 3 & 4. I don't quite understand. Pls explain a little further.

Again many thanks for your help and have a great day.

Joe H USA"

"G'Day Joe,
I

"G'Day Joe,
I am pleased you enjoyed are country,hope to be in USA within the next couple of years, the missus has been putting pressure on to visit a friend in Canada. I'am in Tasmania the southern most island state it has the highest per capita boat ownership in oz.
Back to the subject: #3 put a sraight edge along the grooves pulley to pulley or if the pulley faces are the same thickness along this line to check offset. #4.With engine at idle put a ridget straight edge from a fixed position to a flat spot on the pulley faces , you are looking for pulley wobble,you could all so chalk both faces in turn to check running contact pressure & area.
Regards,
Shakey."

"after which I apply with

"after which I apply with a small amount of WD40."

Why WD40? Are you supposed to use WD40 on the belt or pulleys?

I would think that would cause the belt to slip on the pulleys and that could cause the burning (glazing).

Back