Logo

Simple question On WOT

boatbrain

"Ok , here goes...1993 3.0 mer

"Ok , here goes...1993 3.0 mercruser Alpha1 Gen2
ok i have SS19 Pitch and i can max out the rpm at about 5300 rpm which i dont stay at , i stay at about 4k to 4.3k rpm , is it safe to run say at 5000 rpm without blowing up the motor ... ?"

Definitely NO. The RPM range

Definitely NO. The RPM range for that engine is 4400-4800 MAX. Are you sure the tach is right? If it is you need to use a 21 or maybe a 23 pitch prop. Try the 21 pitch to see if it keeps the WOT at 4800.

"Ok cool , Old Guages ....will

"Ok cool , Old Guages ....will have to stick a new tach in can bearly see the numbers anyways florida sun fades everything
..thanks"

"Max continuous (cruise&#4

"Max continuous (cruise) RPMS should be 75 to 80 % of the MAX WOT, in your case no more than 3800 RPMS! Per a chat I had with one of the engineers at one of the marine engine manufacturers some years ago..
"Expected Engine Life at WOT is in the tens of hours""

"You only need 2000rpm @ 10 kn

"You only need 2000rpm @ 10 knots to pull a Kona-Head lure past a school of bait fish, cant think of any other reason to go faster.."

Rich:

Stop at an auto glass

Rich:

Stop at an auto glass shop that tints windows and ask if they have any scrap material you could use to tint your gauge lenses; not too dark. Don't spray tint; you can't remove it if you don't like it or want to change the tint.

Back