Logo

Fuel gauge

stevebm29

"Should a sending unit be gett

"Should a sending unit be getting 12v? I ask because mine is getting only 8-9v.I haven't tested the ohms yet on unit or gauge ,just wanted to know if I should be getting 12v at unit before I go any further. Thanks for any and all insight....Steve"

"Not sure what your problem is

"Not sure what your problem is Steve but the fuel sender is actually a variable resistor that is grounded on one side and the other goes to the sender terminal on the gauge. A typical fuel sender has a resistance of approx 240 ohms in the empty position and goes to 33 ohms in the full position. You can quickly test the fuel gauge by pulling the sender wire off (usually pink) turn on the gauge (turn key on), should read empty or lower. Then take a jumper wire from the ground on the gauge and touch the sender terminal, now the gauge should peg up past full. If this works then your gauge is fine. You can remove the sender from the tank and do the resistance check with it, if it's ok then the only other piece is the sender wire between the tank and the gauge.

As for your question, I'm not really sure what you should see at the sender as I've only used an ohm meter around the tank and sender, you are seeing 12 v going through the meter so what ever voltage drop the meter has across it is what your seeing at the sender."

"Steve:

You don't want

"Steve:

You don't want to see the full +12V at the sender. As Bob explained, the gauge measures the resistance offered by the sender. It does this by measuring the current passed by the sender. So the gaauge is really a custom calibrated amp meter. The exact voltage you'll see on the sender terminal will vary by brand; ~8V is average based on what I've seen

One fine point addition to Bob's description. You need to verify a good electric ground exists at the sender unit. Some installations use the bonding system which isn't good practice."

Mark and Bob thanx for info..

Mark and Bob thanx for info...I'll check gauge and sender as soon as it stops raining......I guess were gonna get 3-4 inches in the next couple of days in the NE ! I'll let you know what I found out.

Back