Logo

Distributor caps

"Hello,

I have 1988 Model 2

"Hello,

I have 1988 Model 270 Crusaders (Chevy 350 cu) and I have a reoccurring problem with the Left motor. I have replaced the left distributor cap 2X this season for miss firing. If you look inside the cap it will have moisture, corrosion (green) and arching (black) spots. The right engine distributor cap will have normal signs of use, (slight brown w/o moisture, corrosion or arching). I have ensured that the gasket is installed between the cap and the distributor but that has not stopped the misfiring. I keep a log book and for the last 3 seasons the Left distributor has had this issue. I have run about 60 hours this season. The screens are in place on the bottom of the distributor. Any ideas?

Timmy

1966 31’ Chris Craft Commander
1988 Model 270 Crusaders"

"You have to figure out how yo

"You have to figure out how you are getting water in there. It's a long shot, but maybe there is some water in the oil and when you run the engine it turns to steam and is coming up through the distributor shaft. Check your oil cap for any sign of white milky sludge. If found, you will need an oil change and possibly risers or an oil cooler at the easiest."

"No signs of white or water on

"No signs of white or water on the dip stick, but have not checked oil cap yet. No engine oil cooler on this model. The 1988 Manifolds were replaced last winter, riser/elbows replaced 2 years ago. The head gaskets were replaced 3 years ago. No coolant loss. Is there a seal or gasket on the shaft of the distibutor?"

"That will happen in a marine

"That will happen in a marine environment. Remove the cap now and then, leave it off overnight. Lightly spray the inside of the cap with WD-40 before putting it back on.

Jeff"

when was the last time the spa

when was the last time the spark plugs & wires were changed on the port engine? Any "fault" there will cause that kind of activity in the dist. cap.

Do you change the rotor with the cap?

It really does have the oil cooler; was it removed?

"Plugs were changed last winte

"Plugs were changed last winter. Plug wires were changed 2 to 3 seasons ago. Rotor has always been changed with cap.

As I understand the Crusader model 270, the oil cooler is for transmission oil only, hoses run to/from transmission and engine oil and transmission oil are different types.

The right hand engine has not needed the cap changed (did so any way) and the right hand cap has always been clean, no moisture, dirt, arcing. Both engines are on the same maintenance schedule and it has only been the left cap/distributor that has given the high fail rate."

"If it is the U-shaped cooler

"If it is the U-shaped cooler up front, with four hoses, it does both Gear & Engine oils.

Maybe its not the engine but the environment. Have you been in the same slip the past three + years? Always more with the same heading? if yes, is it E/W?"

"I think the 454 cu (Model

"I think the 454 cu (Model 350/454) has the u shaped cooler, the Model 270 (350 cu) has straight cyclinder oil cooler, 2 hoses to/from tranny.

Same slip

Having 2 engines but the left hand cap always needs replacing before the right hand, I am trying to find what's happening before I think about buying new parts (distributor). I am hesitant to swap parts between motors and then have issues with 2 engines."

"Now you made me look it up...

"Now you made me look it up....actually the 350 cid motors use both cooler styles...depends upon the year and the the submodel.

Do you always moore in the slip the same way? What is the boats heading in the slip?

Parts swapping usually presupposes one item is bad. If you swap entire distributor assemblies and both engines act up, something else is driving it.

The disributors are supposed to 'breathe'. The vent screen is a safety device and the gasket is to ensure the only path into the distributor is via the vent. Have you checked the vent to make sure it isn't clogged?}"

I did not think to check to se

I did not think to check to see if the screens were blocked

The answer when found will be obvious..........

The slip and boat came together at the same time. I usally back in since I find w/ 2 inboards it is easier that way. Westerly heading.

"Because of all that sealing,

"Because of all that sealing, the screens are the only 'breathing' point - no breathing, no air circulating, condensation, etc...

If headed west, the port side will get the bulk of the solar heating during the day. depending upon the construction used, it may be enough to be a contributor, especially if you're not independently wealth and can't run the boat every day. If it's only once a month, that's just more time for mother nature to do her thing.

Let us know what you find."

"I will check the screens soon

"I will check the screens soonest.

I have run about 70 hours this season and am hoping for many more. But if these storms keep up on the saturday arrival in New England area (last 2 did) that will keep me at the dock.

Thx,

Timmy"

"I agree with the rest regardi

"I agree with the rest regarding moisture getting its way into the distributer. I would check for some cooling hoses that are close by the distributor, that when engine gets hot could be a pin hole in a hose or hose ends releasing some steam out. I seen it happen before.
Peter."

Back