Logo

2003 SUZUKI DT150top speed rpm problem

bb3

"cant seem to get over 5250 rp

"cant seem to get over 5250 rpm's. switched from a 19p to a 17p and rpm's stay the same,just 6-7 mph slower. it hits 5250 and starts to fall off down to 5000 and it may or may not climb back. you can back the throttle off a ways and it doesnt change rpm's. it seems rich on top to me,plugs pretty black-put new plugs in and no change. Removed cowling and tried it, rpm's didnt drop from 5250.put cover on and they dropped again. Also noticed the throttle plate only opens about 3/4 at wide open. Is this normal? It has done this since new,but figured it was my prop. Any advice?"

my suzuki df140 rpm tops onl

my suzuki df140 rpm tops only 4000 used to be 5500 and Iwould normaly run at 4500.. whats the problem prop seems ok no obvious dents. have not checked gas filters on motor.. help jkb

Try using Kendall 2 stroke oil. Had the same issue, drained the crap oil out. Put in Kendall, and it was perfect, just got to run the old oil out of the lines, and let the motor clean the cylinders out. Cheap fix, and u got to buy oil anyway, won't hurt to try. It worked for me

I see the same thing happening the last 6 years with my boat. No matter what prop I've tried it stays right around the rpm you stated. I've tried the Turning Point aluminum that came with the boat, a trio of Michigan Ballistics and a Tempest Plus. I've tried changing types of oil with no luck. Dealership put in John/Rude XD50. I've tried Amsoil, John/Rude XD100, and just the plain TCW stuff from Wally World also. And yes I drained the tank before each change. Still smokes badly with whatever goes into the tank. I guess the 17 pitch prop I have sitting in the garage isn't going to help either from the sounds of it from your post. Mine seems to stumble on cold acceleration with a huge cloud of blue smoke which I think might have more to do with the rpm problem than anything. Is it on a Lund Explorer or Crestliner Fish Hawk?

Just an update. Ran the 17p prop. Gained around 700 rpm. I don't know how accurate tach is or where red limiter kicks in but it was real close to the 6k mark. Still stumbles on acceleration but I finally bit the bullet and dropped it off at the dealer last week.

Back