Logo

Honda 1993 BF45A Stalling after cleaned carbs

gscheu

"I have the typical running pr

"I have the typical running problem where it idles fine but will stall as I throttle up. Took it to the shop where they cleaned the carbs (ultrasonic), tested the gas, fuel pump, etc. The motor ran perfectly for about 20 minutes then was parked for one month. The next time I went to run the boat it would only go to 3500 rpm and was on the verge of stalling. Quick movement of the throttle up would cause it to stall. I called the shop and they said they would have to clean the carbs AGAIN at another $300-400 dollars. By the way, the center plug was black while the other two were tan to chocolate brown, so it appeared something was going on with the center cylinder. Replaced the plug with another new one , but no change in the low rpm/stalling.I am pretty mechanical so I removed the carbs myself to see just how clean they were. I saw NO obstructions to any of the small holes and spray carb cleaner flows through them freely. I want to put them back on but need to know the correct number of turns out for the air screw. The shop had them set 2 and one 8th turns out. Was this correct? Also, what is the best brand of vacuum sychronizer to buy? I will assume that when the carbs are back on, the motor will start when set to the factory specs (number of turns) and the sync adjustment is done with the linkage adjusting screws (spring loaded). Thank you for reading this and I appreciate any advice. Glenn"

"2 1/8 is correct. We use the

"2 1/8 is correct. We use the Vacuummate and it does a nice job. Here is one source. http://www.toolsource.com/vacuummate-professional-synchronizing-p-102759.html
There may be cheaper ones out there if you look.

Have you pulled the small jet set (long thin tube that goes up through the middle of the carb? There is a very small passage through it and it is always the first to get clogged. It only takes a very small piece of debris and can easily happen right after a carb job.

Check the float height (level with the base of the carb). There are specs, but this should be you close enough. Also, make sure the needle is seating properly."

"Old fuel will also cause the

"Old fuel will also cause the same stalling symptoms you've described, particularly with a cold engine.
Bob"

"Thank you Bob and Mike, Tore

"Thank you Bob and Mike, Tore down the carbs and took them apart, ran lots of carb cleaner through all the ports, inc. the small tube in the center, put them back on and the motor is runnung perfectly. Even better than that 20 minutes after getting it back from the shop the first time. Frustrating to know that such a small obstruction can make these motors no run in any useable way. I need to have confidence that it will run wel as I ofter anchor in the Columbia river where the river runs between 4 and 7 miles per hour and I need the power to pull the anchor off the bottom (70 feet deep). For now it runs great, though. I am really glad I put the effort into doing this last cleaning myself as it is an easy job, and now that I have done it once , I know that I can do it again in about 3 hours. If anyone need advice on the procedure, email me through this site and I will tell of my experience as of course since I have done it once, I am now the expert on 1993 45hp carbs. Glenn By the way Bob, new gas was put in before the first carb rebuild and a new filter was installed so it may have been something in the fuel lines between the fuel pump and the carbs themselves, so when anyone is cleaning carbs, be sure to clean these lines also."

"Mike, I got a flow meter made

"Mike, I got a flow meter made by Weber for 39.00 and after modifying the intake to it because of irregular intakes on the carbs themselves it works very well and all three carbs are reading the same. I really didn't need to change anything after reinstalling the carbs. The shop had them set right and I didn't change those settings during the cleaning. Glenn"

Glad to hear things worked out

Glad to hear things worked out. Thanks for the feedback.

We'll be sure to send anyone with a carb issue on the 35hp - 50hp to you.

Be safe out there!

"Glenn,
Just now I see your p

"Glenn,
Just now I see your posting, I have a '92 BF45A and recently rebuilt the carbs.

My $.02; since you are mechanical incline, the best investment you can ever make is buying the Official Honda Shop Manual for your BF45A, go to repairmanuals.com, I think I paid about $60 (significant more than other generic manuals) but well worth it. It is a very good source of information on hoe to do the job correctly, torque values, specs, etc.

Also a good habit, if not using the boat for long periods of time, is to drain the carbs."

Back