Logo

Honda 99 Engine will not operate at Full RPMbs

steve_boat

"Hello All,

I own a Honda

"Hello All,

I own a Honda 9.9 outboard for my small sailboat. I like the engine overall it has served me well, however this year the engine will not rev beyond 3500 RPM, even when the throttle is fully depressed. I took off the cover and operated the motor and I located a square black box that has a white plug connector at the front of the engine. When I press down on the white plug...low and behold the engine runs perfect at 5,000 RPM! If I take pressure off the plug the engine does not go above 3.500 RPM. I believe the black box has male electrical pins and maybe one is broken... I dont know what this black box is or maybe I can order it and the white plug to possibly eliminate the source of the engine problem.

Thanks to anyone who has seen this problem...I appreciate your help!

Regards,

Steve B."

"The black box is the CDI unit

"The black box is the CDI unit which controls the spark to the engine. If this is still in warranty, take it back to the dealer and let them pull their hair out..

Pull the white plug off and check all the pins on the black box. Make sure they are clean. Check the white plug and make sure all of the connectors are straight. And everything looks uniform.

Then plug the connector into the blackbox and take it back off a few times. Then put it on one final time and test. This will help clean and reseat the connections.

If if still has a problem, try moving only one wire at a time to see which one may be the culprit. There may just be a broken wire.

If it only happens when you push on the connector, try one more thing. Take the connector back out and ever so slightly, put a small twist in each pin on the black box. This is so it makes a better connection, but not too much so it will not go into the connectors or get bent off."

Back