Logo

Please help me ID my 23

ice

"Hello to all, sorry about the

"Hello to all, sorry about the lengthy post but here goes....

We recently bought a Sunbird with a OMC 2.3 ford engine. The dealer we bought it from stated that it was good to go and without problems and he would give it a service before we took it.
Not so...
A few problems with split hoses and and water leaks from the engine I managed to get her running sweet and have had a few good days out on the water with the family except for last time. Whilst recovering a bucket that my youngest threw overboard the gearbox decided it did not want to select neutral or forward. I have stripped the outdrive down and found the problem to be the transom cable that the infamous "Transom Bracket Shift Cable" had snapped and the selector had slipped over the linkage.
No problem I'm thinking, I've read a lot here and I've inwardly digested the Stuart Hastings bible now to order the new cable....

This is my problem, I phone an OMC dealer here in the UK and he asks what model do I own, he tells me where to locate the info I need. I go look and the plate on the rocker/cam cover of the engine and the detail printed has faded beyound reading.
I know it's a 2.3 Ford ohc that has a plastic cover on the air filter that has a "TKO 4" logo on it.
How do I identify which variation of motor do I have?"

See if you can find the drive

See if you can find the drive model # plate on the port side of the drive about halfway down

"Thanks for replying,

The i

"Thanks for replying,

The info on the plate is:

MOD NO.
ENG
2.3L
SER NO. T0541034"

Am I correct in thinking that

Am I correct in thinking that there is only one "Transom Bracket Shift Cable" across the full range of 2.3litre engines?

model 985267 says 1988 drive s

model 985267 says 1988 drive so you want OMC PN 985587 which has subbed up over the years to 987661 available on this site for $175 or Sierra PN SIE18-2245-1 also available here for $104

"Excellent stuff, thank you.

"Excellent stuff, thank you.
According to BRP there are two variations of the 2.3 for 89, how would I tell the difference between the two?"

"The only difference between t

"The only difference between the models was manual or power steering, no effect on the shift cable.

Here's an example of a 1988 engine model # and how you break it down 232APRGDE

23 = engine ltrs
2 = 2 bbl carb
A = first production version
P = power steering
R = right hand prop rotation
GDE = model yr designation"

"Thanks Bob,
I have found a S

"Thanks Bob,
I have found a Sierra compatible part on eBay for £50ish but the guy hasn't got back to me on shipping yet!"

Back