Logo

Nissan 1998 NS8B

cheath

"When spun by hand, my prop fu

"When spun by hand, my prop fully engages in reverse, free spins in neutral but slips when in the forward position. The prop is new and has been running fine except too hot.
I removed the lower end and inspected the impeller and after it was replaced, I noticed the slippage. Is this normal or is there a problem?
At the same time I also removed the thermostat and am awaiting parts. Is there a torque setting for the head?
Thanks"

""When spun by hand, my pr

""When spun by hand, my prop fully engages in reverse, free spins in neutral but slips when in the forward position"

What do you mean by "slips"

"The prop is new and has been running fine except too hot."

Props don't run hot or cold so...?

"I removed the lower end and inspected the impeller and after it was replaced, I noticed the slippage. Is this normal or is there a problem?"

Again, what exactly are you referring to?

"At the same time I also removed the thermostat and am awaiting parts. Is there a torque setting for the head?"

Why did you remove the thermostat?

Specifications can be found in your service manual."

"Thank you for the response...

"Thank you for the response....there are two separate issues: One is a prop that doesn't seem to totally engage in forward and the Second is that the engine is overheating.

I'll try to explain.
When in forward, the prop and shaft rotate together initially for a portion of a turn and then the prop feels like it skips and spins free until it gets some resistance again (repeating itself with each turn). This got my attention since when in reverse, I can't spin the prop at all.

What I meant to say earlier is that the engine was propelling the dingy fine except that it was over heating (small water flow from the tell tale and it was warm to hot) so I checked the impeller which was in good condition. After re-installing the lower unit, I noticed the prop situation...I thought I may have not properly installed it, or that this is normal and I just don't know it. I guess the question is that when the engine is in forward should I be able to spin the prop by hand and if not, why is mine doing this?
Since the engine was overheating and the impeller was in good shape, I checked the thermostat and found a build up of salt and crud lodged in the thermostat and salt build up in the surrounding area which I have to believe is contributing to the overheating problem.
Appreciate any insight on both matters. Hopefully this is a better explantion of the two issues."

"You may have a slipping prope

"You may have a slipping propeller hub which would require you to replace the propeller or you may have a worn foward gear or clutch.

You may not have a overheat problem as the water should be warm to hot. The general rule is that if the water is hot enough to blister you, you have a problem."

Back