Logo

AQ131A Distributor

rmd

Well was doing good until yest

Well was doing good until yesterday. Starting running rough againg. I looked at the Distributor to find that the piece that holds it on time was broke. When I removed it i noticed that the distributor was pretty beat up. Should I buy another or clean it up? THe inside has rust and smells burnt. Cant post pics since they are over 100K. But can email if need be. Thanks.

By the way the number of Dist

By the way the number of Dist is 0231178017. WOuld hate to spend over 500 for something if I do not need to. Is there any kits to tune the distributor. Thanks.

"You can try to reduce the siz

"You can try to reduce the size of the pictures with Photoshop or another editing program. Some cameras also allow you to save the picture in different qualities/sizes.

Regarding your distributor, a new one costs over $1000, but they come for sale at eBay every now and then for $150-$200. You can always take yours to a shop where they can test it and maybe even clean it and replace the springs of the rest is in good condition.

Also, consider upgrading from points to electronic ignition (Pertronix or Hot Spark)."

"Attached are some pictures. A

"Attached are some pictures. As you can see it needs a very good cleaning. Would hate to pay the whole 1000. Is there any kits or any parts that need to be replaced? The gear looks good. Thanks.
292236.jpg
Dist"">
292237.jpg
DIST2

Remove the plate under the poi

Remove the plate under the points and have a look underneath. You want to see the condition of the centrifugal advance weights and springs.

"Thanks El. Here are the pics

"Thanks El. Here are the pics for the distributor in question with the plate removed. Has no binding but pretty dirty. Thanks.
292287.jpg
New"">
292288.jpg
new2

"I would start by cleaning the

"I would start by cleaning the inside with solvent and a brass brush, then dry it. Make sure the weights are not frozen and there is no play between the shaft and the bushing. Then, if the springs are OK and the weights rock freely, the distributor may be in good condition, in which case you should lubricate the bushings with a couple of drops of oil and coat the springs with grease. If all went OK, then you should install a new rotor, a new cap cap and may I suggest an electronic ignition kit to replace the points (Pertronix or Hot Spark). If all goes well, you should have a good distributor for quite some time."

"Thanks El. No play and weight

"Thanks El. No play and weights are not frozen. Springs bring the weights back in place. What kind of solvent would u recommend? Oil? Making my wallet feel better
Thanks."

"I have used Varsol in the pas

"I have used Varsol in the past, as it washes out the rust quite well and the residue evaporates (make sure you use a brass brush to remove rust and dirt). I would afterward use compress air to clean any residue leftover and use WD40 or similar oil for lubricating the bushings, then a bit of lithium white grease for the springs."

"Well cleaned the distributor

"Well cleaned the distributor and it looks good. Funny how a little cleaning and upkeep can save you money. Unfortunately I was not able to try and enjoy my work because another issue popped up,which is now posted under AQ131A Starter. I did notice that the new plugs were black already after trying for no more than 10-20 minutes. Weird but can it be that it is too rich? Thanks El."

Back