Logo

Converting outboard to IO

P

Paul Jones

" I am rebuilding a '56 Lo

" I am rebuilding a '56 Lonstar Cruisemaster. It is currently powered by a '64 evenrude 90hp outboard. I think it would improve the lines of the boat greatly if I replaced the bulky outboard and extended transom with my 120 hp mercruiser I/O. Has anyone successfully attempted this before or know of someone who has. Any suggestions, helpful hints, techniques to use, or other words of wisdom would be much appreciated. Also I have heard of a tool used to properly align the engine with the outdrive. Anyone know what I'm talking about, know where to pick one up. Thanks "

" sounds like Fun.... find you

" sounds like Fun.... find your donor boat with the perfect running engine,+ outdrive,,take chainsaw,saw-zal,etc., cut out complete driveline, with a foot or 2 all the way around...replacate all the stringers,holes,etc. in the Lonestar using the cutout plug for insperation......then transfer the unit..it'll be one sharp little boat.....the tool your looking for can be found quite often on ebay, search "mercruiser" "

" I did just a rebuild in the

" I did just a rebuild in the opposite direction - from and 120 HP, 3.0 liter Mercruiser I/O to on outboad on a transom bracket.

The first thing I would be concerned about is the front engine mounts. Do you have substantial stringers? Are they the right height, distance apart, etc. for the engine? You might have to do a lot of internal construction.

The second concern would be weight. You 120 HP engine and outdrive would weigh about 650 lbs. The outboard probable weighed 350 lbs.

There are two concerns things to think about. I don't have answers - just potential problems. "

Back