Logo

Help

gavin1983

I have a 06 Glastron with a 30

I have a 06 Glastron with a 305 mercruiser in it. I know nothing about motors so excuse me for the in proper language ahead of time. Earlier this year my boat was not running correctly so I took it to the dealer and they said the #6 cylinder had no compression and fixed it. I have put 22 hrs on the boat since being fixed and have had numerous problems. Two times while goin down the lake at about 35 mph the boat just shut down it talking completely shut off went from 35mph to boat turned off with a snap of the finger with the beeping noise going off. I went and had the codes read in the computer and there were two that meant anything one was the neutral sensor switch and other was fuel pump relay. The fuel pump is running fine and the neutral switch cant cause this but is a issue. While at the lake on Sunday the boat cut off again while going down the lake at 30mph fired right back up got going again then did it again never happened twice before. When I went to take off this time it was like the boat had no power you could just tell the motor was hardly working with the throttle all the way down after about 3 min the boat finally planed out. I called the dealership that fixed the motor before and they stated they were two weeks out before they could touch anything. I decided to take it back to the dealer i bought it from even though not located on the water. They called me this morning and said the boat was ready. They stated there was a wiring harnest behind the motor that was not connected all the way and was not put back in its holster correctly. I went out this afternoon and the boat ran great for 30 minutes so I hung out in the water for about 20 minutes and then headed back to the dock about 5 minutes into the ride the boat started acting up did some different things this time. I was running about 42 and all of a sudden you could feel it start missing like it would cut out for a half a second then come right back. Then it sounded like a tin can rolling around in the engine compartment. I brought the speed down to about 33 and the tin can sound went away ran it like that for a few minutes then went back to full speed and ran great then a few minutes later back to the same thing. My boat with only two people will top out at about 48 mph when running good today it would do that when running bad about 40 was the max. Another thing is my RPM guage was all over the place all day not as bad when the boat was running good but its not like the motor was doing anything any different ex if the rpm guage would jump up 1000 rpm's the motor wouldnt make any different sound. I have contacted Mercruiser about my issue and the fact that the dealer is not being very cooperative with me on getting the issue fixed and they are trying to help. I normally put around 70hrs a year on my boat and have only put 23 this year and warm weather ends in about 4 weeks I cant wait 2-3 weeks to get my boat in the shop and then wait on them to fix it warm weather will be gone. Thanks for any help.

"Another thing is my RPM g

"Another thing is my RPM guage was all over the place all day not as bad when the boat was running good but its not like the motor was doing anything any different ex if the rpm guage would jump up 1000 rpm's the motor wouldnt make any different sound."

Look at the connections on the coil and the back of the tach; they may be loose or corroded. If they are good connections remove the grey wire from the tach and tape it up. Drive the boat to see if it acts up again. The tach will not work. If the boat runs great for the afternoon; replace the tach.

Hey Guy thanks for your respon

Hey Guy thanks for your response. Do you really think the tach could cause all of these issues the only reason I ask is because the lake is 45 minutes away in order to test this out. Thanks again for your help

Yes. Your statement points me

Yes. Your statement points me in the direction of the ignition based upon your statement above. I would check the tach first since it costs nothing. The tach has an electronic circuit that turns the coil's firing impulses into a voltage that moves the needle. When the circuit begins to fail tachs have been known to disrupt electronic ignition.

If the problem reappears put your hand on the SIDE of the coil to see if it is very hot. Substitute a known good coil. Borrow one and take it w/you.

It's all a process of elimination with intermittent problems.

Back