Logo

Just bought a boatprobably got ripped

william_knight

"Howdy fellers, I'm sure y

"Howdy fellers, I'm sure ya'll know more about boats than me. Just bought a 1976 chrysler 23' cuddy cab boat I think it has a 360. I don't know what it is maybe ya'll can help it says model 731 on the tag. It wont crank just clicks. starter is good and I put a new solenoid on it any Ideas on this. Thanks"

"William,
You could try jump

"William,
You could try jumping the battery directly to the starter, WITH SOME GOOD JUMPER CABLES. At least 6ga. or 4ga. , I don't think 8ga. will get it done.
You should expect an extremely huge spark when the connection is made, if all is in proper order.

<font size=""+1"">MAKE SURE THE COMPARTMENT IS WELL VENTED.</font>

Brett 156-M"

wack the side of the starter w

wack the side of the starter with a hammer. If it is on its way to going bad that can help get it going when you try to crank. Works for cars.
Eddie

"I agree, pull the plugs and s

"I agree, pull the plugs and squirt some oil on the pistons in for the first few hundred revolutions."

"Reread your description and f

"Reread your description and figured I was ahead of the problem...the issue is the starter won't turn over. As suggested, either hot wire it or remove it and bench examine it, rebuild it or buy another. Even so, does the engine turn over by hand? Put a pipe wrench on the shaft, does it turn?"

Back