Logo

StupidStupid

rickt

Last weekend.......we (my

Last weekend.......we (my family and I) got caught out in a good blow of Mackinaw Island. We had to fight 6-8' wave for about 7NM. My wife was not happy......I made the mistake of not raising my outdrive before I pulled the boat and trailer to the tie down area....about 40 yards over asphalt......the skeg is a little flat....but no apparent damage.

The weather was pretty nasty the balance of our time on vacation. So I had the canvas up for some fishing and wakeboarding....so things sound and feel different. It seems that I have some vibration at tight turns....Could that be the u joints getting old? the boat is about 24 years old.

As I'm getting older I find myself getting more paranoid.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Rick

You might have damaged the out

You might have damaged the outdrive during the 40yrd drag over asphalt. Run the boat on the trailer(with water)and turn outdrive to see if it makes the noise again. pinpoint the source and go from there.

"Hey I did the same thing for

"Hey I did the same thing for only 10 yeards a couple of weeks ago. Always makes a guy feel stupid and totally rookie, especially on a crowded boat ramp! Too many beers makes a guy forgetful.
Don't be too hard on yourself.

I thought the older mercruisers had a break-away feature but dragging on the ground with the weight of your boat might do some damage. Of course maybe your u-joints were just wearing out and the dragging was the final nail in the coffin."

Back