Logo

Unique Problem Need Help

93mantaray

I have a 1993 Manta Ray Bow ri

I have a 1993 Manta Ray Bow rider and it has a 4.3L Murcruiser in it but I have an OMC Cobra drive unit on it. The issue is that at times I am having problems shifting and sometimes I have to turn off the Eng to get it into neutral. I changed the lower gear oil and have not run it since but I don't feel that will solve the problem.

"Unless the ENGINE only is mer

"Unless the ENGINE only is mercruiser and EVERYTHING else is OMC that is the only way I know of that it could be as you describe.

I believe that OMC has the same as merc and that is a INTERUPTOR switch.

The switch is there just for that reason. It momentaraly interupts the ignition so the gear assembly in the lower unit of the outdrive will seperate when trying to come out of gear (only)

There should be a bracket on or near the engine (exhaust manifold) and it will have two cables attached and a V notched plastic piece and a micro roller switch that the roller sits in the V of the notch.

That switch gets closed/made when there is resistance on the shift cable going to the outdrive.

If that switch is not working then that is why you are having your issue.

With the engine running either in the water or on a hose in neutral, just actuate the switch with your hand and if the engine stalls then it is working. If not then the switch needs to be replaced."

Back