Logo

Mchanical Valve settings

"Next Problem,
My 440 (if

"Next Problem,
My 440 (if it is a 440) has mchenical valve adjustment and not hydraulic, has any one heard of this and do you know sequence for setting and clearances,
I asked a car mechanic and he has never seen a 440 with this set up.
could I fit hydraulic followers or are the cams different as my mechanic has said
I generally trust what he say but you guys have more experience with these engines
Thanks
Tony"

"I have never met you Jef.
Bu

"I have never met you Jef.
But it seems to me you are the God of Chrysler V8`s
happy.gif

I will be a God of my engine soon, I seem to have had to fix just about everything on the #######
thing.
But so far the trials and tribulations of every one on the site are the fountain of all knowledge

Alternate answer,

I have solid cam followers and adjusters on the rocker arms

Now, Mechanical valve`s anyone ??

Thanks
Tony"

I think the only other BB Chry

I think the only other BB Chrysler except the Hemi that had adjustable rockers was a HiPO 413 although there are after market set ups.

Maybe just replacement rockers

Maybe just replacement rockers? Do they have a gap now or are they tight? Can you depress the lifter any?

"The old 383 and 440 cu mopars

"The old 383 and 440 cu mopars with solid lifters used .028 intake and .032 exhaust.
This was cold clearance, not running.
I have done it numerous times on the older inline six cyl 225cu and specs were .010 intake and .020 with the engine running.
setting valve lash with engine running is difficult and really sloppy/messy.
Info courtesy of moparpartsconnection.
Joe"

No Dan the valve buckets are s

No Dan the valve buckets are solid without the bits and peices of a hydraulic followers

the heads are off at the moment.

Thanks everyone and in particular Joe

At least its a cold setting I can start with

Tony

Back