Logo

GM 153 fuel pump question

txgalzdah

Regular Contributor
"1966, 120 HP, GM 153 I4 pushi

"1966, 120 HP, GM 153 I4 pushing a MR outdrive.
Received my new fuel pump today and could just kick myself. I ordered a single diaphram vice dual. Oh well, a good spare and towing service I guess. Here is a picture of the Carter carb.
http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/tt297/TxGalzDah/?action=view&current=A_Carter _carb.jpg"
On the left the connection is marked IN and on the right the connection port is marked OUT. The nipple on the bottom right pulses air when the pump lever is moved. That appears to be the the "OS" indicator that the clear hose goes on.
On the original setup there is a hose that loops back from the discharge side of the pump to the suction side of the pump. It seems to me the discharge would re-circ back to the suction side with no significant output.
Give me a couple of minutes and I will post the old pic I have. Any info would be great as I am in the middle of researching this.
Thanks,
TxGalz Dah"

"Never saw that setup before,

"Never saw that setup before, install the new on without all that extra plpumbing, and get a steel brake line to make a new line to the carb instead of the rubber stuff. double-flaring is easy to do and leakproof."

"BTDoctur,
Thanks for the hea

"BTDoctur,
Thanks for the heads up. The KISS method has worked well for me over the years. I received some good info on the fuel line issues on a post from last week. Double flare steel is the way to go.
'preciate it.
TxGalz Dah"

"[i]loops back from the discha

"loops back from the discharge side of the pump to the suction side of the pump. It seems to me the discharge would re-circ back to the suction side with no significant output.

no kidding. the fuel would take the path of least resistance. Unless there's a tiny orifice in one of those tees, the carb would get nothing.

My guess is someone had installed an electric fuel pump up by the tank and has used that jumper hose to bypass the mechanical pump completely."

"Hy Stat,
Yea, it's reall

"Hy Stat,
Yea, it's really a crazy setup. But not to worry. This barge was torn down to the keel and the entire fuel system is new. Just needed to make sure I wasn't missing some rocket science here. Looks more like shade tree science, which regretfully, I am all too familiar with.
proud.gif

Thanks for the confirmation.
TxGalz Dah"

Back