Logo

Merc 350 w alpha 1 power steering Drive

ruckus3313

Regular Contributor
"Hi All,

Im new to the Merc

"Hi All,

Im new to the Mercruiser forum as I currently have a Volvo Penta. My question here is that I may acquire a 1980 Glastex 20.5 Cuddy with a 350 chevy and alpha power steering drive. Now I know this is a good engine,however, the drive im not sure of. Is there any common problems with this setup?? Is there one thing i should keep close eyes on? Is there any cost efficient upgrades I can do?or maintenance schedule i should abide by??Thanks for any responses as I have only ever owned one boat and Im not "sterndrive" inclined as far a remove and rebuild. Thanks again"

"I would be more concerned abo

"I would be more concerned about the condition of the boat's transom, stringers and floor. The engine, OD and wiring are 30 years old unless you know different.

The Alpha OD is sufficient for the 350 engine. As w/any OD you should monitor the oil level and change at scheduled intervals. If it does not have an oil reservior then add one to it.

It has a rubber water impeller that needs replaced at regular intervals; every 2-3 years depending on use. Some say change it annually for heavy use. The OD should come off annually for inspection and lubrication of the U-joints.

If the OD fails there is a quality aftermarket one w/a no fault 3 yr. warranty available from SEI for $1200. If you run into problems you can post it here and someone will help you fix it."

"thanks Guy much needed info t

"thanks Guy much needed info there. The boat itself is in beautiful condition.Only 450 hours since new, freshwater only, and has been covered any trailered its whole life. Close friend of mine's boat.And as far as the and oil reservoir??do you mean a remote reservoir somewhere in the transom and for what purpose does it serve??thanks again"

It puts positive pressure on t

It puts positive pressure on the OD seals in the event of a seal failure the oil seeps out vs. water seeping in. Hopefully you would check the reservior each use to find a leak. I put one on my 87 for $50.

and do you have a link on wher

and do you have a link on where you bought that reservoir and where you mount it and connect it??

It was an aftermarket I bought

It was an aftermarket I bought on eBay. It mounts on the inside of the transom just above the OD. Merc. brand can be purchased.

Back