Logo

Done with AQ170 What next

flyboy

"I have been working all summe

"I have been working all summer on junk. I have only been stranded twice now in 5 trips out. I need a different piece of junk to work on before I go crazy. I currently have a volvo penta aq 170a with a 280/270 ish outdrive on my 22 ft fiberform. It seems to run fine at times but it is just nickel and diming me to death as every time I go out something little breaks. It has good compressions but between the solex carbs, starters, coils, the electrical system, the bellows, exhaust couplings, and every other little mess this nightmare engine has that breaks at a moments notice, I have decided to quit spending my energy and money on junk. As I see it I have a few options; I can get over it and work on junk as the core engine is working still; I can find another inboard engine to convert it over to and use the same outdrive; I can throw it all away and convert the boat over to outboards; I can insure it and pull the plug. I don't have a ton into this boat but I like the hull as it is strong and in good shape. I need some information on what it will take to change this over to a different inboard and what options I have. I have been looking into the outboard conversion and I can say it looks good at the moment. If I can get a good running inboard with a few more ponys than 170 (200 to 250 is plenty) for cheaper than the outboard conversion I would consider it. My outdrive is a 1.89 gear ratio and is working at the moment (but like everything in this mess of a drive system it might not be working tomorrow). My volvo penta dealer has said that nothing matches up with that outdrive and bell housing (he has never seen the boat, I have only told him what I have as I can't afford to talk to him to long) and he thought it might be cheaper in the long run to convert to an outboard. I need advice and ideas. I am not looking at spending 15,000 on a repower as I can find a different boat for that amount. I want cheap and reliable... good luck right
Any and all help is greatly appreciated. By the way, does anybody want a head, exhaust manifold, 6 nightmare solex carbs, and possibly a 280 outdrive. They all have very low time (300-400 hours), compressions in the mid 150's to low 160's the head was professionally rebuilt 20 hours ago, the outdrive upper gear box has been gone through (by my extremely expensive volvo penta dealer) and only has 20 hours on it... Just let me know."

"RE: "nothing matches up w

"RE: "nothing matches up with that outdrive and bell housing "

Well, I'm not the expert, but.... nothing matches up with the bell housing...maybe so..
Nothing matches up with the outdrive...That's total BS.

You could probably put a 4.3L V6 in front of it.
You most likely need a new bell housing.

I'm not a big fan of O/B conversions... If you have a MERCRUISER I/O, I could maybe see it, but VOLVO to O/B...nope. If nothing else, it louses up the trim and stability of the boat."

The truth about a 30 year old

The truth about a 30 year old boat is that it just isn't going to be right until you replace or fix just about everything. And then it's still a 30 year old boat. If you've just about replaced everything then it should be about ready to rock & roll!

"Robert, I agree that somethin

"Robert, I agree that something has to match up to the 280 outdrive as there are a lot of ones out there. Would I have to cut a new hole in the transom or would the bell housing from a 4.3L just plug and play? I have one exhaust out on the left side of the engine but I assume the 4.3L would have headers on both sides so how does that work? What about price? Since I have no core, no starter, no manifolds, etc for the 4.3L how much is all that going to run? I guess I lean toward O/B conversion because of more deck space, and simple all in one up front job. I can get the mount for $750, rip everything out, glass the back of the boat, install the mount and I can put whatever I want on. I can get a nice two stroke 200 hp for pretty cheap. I just don't know anything about the inboards and even where to get them or prices. I live in AK so shipping is a mess. I do see your point Joe, about once everthing is replaced I should have a new boat but it seems to not work that way. Rebuilt head, (which is prone to crack) 30 year old lower end with bearings that are hard to come by, pistons rings that are $50 a cyl, pistons.... good luck. Then there are the standard parts like the $450 volvo penta starter, the $120 rubber hose linking the exhaust to the outdrive (it blew and nearly sank the boat as raw water freely flowed in and the engine died so the bilage could not keep up as the battery died. Thank goodness for hand billage pumps. $5 of rubber, $115 of volvo penta BS) the points to change to solid state, the 3 solex carbs that have been gone through 2x yet they still run like crap, the new $75 bellows that leak causing $700 in damage to the back end, the damper plate that randomly goes out and requires you to pull the whole engine to replace... Oh did I mention the starter again. Yeah, two of them now. JUNK. Once I get all of this set the stupid thing is going to throw a rod through the block and the whole thing is going to turn into a boat anchor anyway. It does not end. Anyway, I rant.

Robert, you mentioned how you did not like the outboard conversion because it reduced the stability of the boat. Why is that? Is it just because the weight is now higher in the boat? Is that as it sits in the water or is on step or both? Thanks for your guys input as I need a sounding wall to bounce this stuff off as I get rash in my decisions when every time I take this Junk out it breaks again..."

"Stability of a boat is relate

"Stability of a boat is related to the distance between the Center of Gravity of a Boat and the Center of Bouyancy and the direction, i.e., above or below. With an inboard, you have almost all of the engine's weight at or below the water line. With a big O/B, most of its weight is above the waterline and likely above the Center of Bouyancy.

Also, the weight is moved aft, which effects the trimn of the boat.

Since you are looking at 2 cycle O/Bs... inboard engines, especially Fresh Water cooled are usually more fuel efficient.

Re: dual exhausts... There is a "Y" pipe exhaust for V engines.... Also, you don't need a Volvo engine... anyone's will do. Mercruiser or Marine Power will do. There are other brands. Stay away from remanufactured engines."

"'Since you are looking at

"'Since you are looking at 2 cycle O/Bs... inboard engines, especially Fresh Water cooled are usually more fuel efficient. '

If you are talking 'old' technology, perhaps yes.
However the prop efficiency, power to weight and new technologies I do not quite agree. My guess an E-tech 150/175 will perform about 120% relevant to the old Aq170."

"A V-8 Flywheel Cover (bel

"A V-8 Flywheel Cover (bell housing in the auto world), an AQ 200B 3" Y pipe, proper exhaust mans, two side engine mounts, a 1.61:1 lower unit, and you can do the 4.3L V-6 or a 5.0L V-8 to this set up.
You may even get the 1.89:1 lower to perform with a 4.3L V-6.

I've done these conversions.... it is doable!

The 170 exhaust manifold, if good, can be worth a few dollars to the right person!

."

"Ricardo, I agree that [b][i]a

"Ricardo, I agree that almost anything is doable....as long as one pumps sufficient money into it.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
"

"Well, that is certainly true.

"Well, that is certainly true.
You've got to draw the line somewhere.
It may not be worth it unless you have great access to these parts and the love for a project!

Me? I've been fortunate to have both!
You guys would know for sure that I was a little touched in the head if you knew how much money I have into my old 28 foot SND F/B boat! If you were to look up the phrase "financially upside-down in a boat", you'd probably see my picture there!
uhoh.gif

And to top it off, in the last three weeks, I've finally started, and am finishing, my new upholstery project on her. Cost that will never make a return for me.
Love the old gal though!

."

"Well, Ricardo: if you cannot

"Well, Ricardo: if you cannot take it with you, at least you may want to enjoy it while you can in what you really like.

I know if I told you how much I have spent to date on my current boat, you wouldn't feel so bad about what you have spent on yours. But I will resist the temptation and I shall remain tight-lipped.....
wink.gif
"

"Oh come on now, El.... it can

"Oh come on now, El.... it can't be that bad! I'll show you mine, if you'll show me yours! LOL

The thing is.... if you do not mind the work/expense, and the project is fun for you, then you can end up with a very mechanically sound boat that will give you years of good service.
I'll use mine up in the form of, hopefully, trouble free enjoyment.

=http://sports.webshots.com/photo/1...t/62/62/5/91/50/431159150meAVPM_th.jpg"[/IMG]

Joshua, Don't give up just yet.... not if you like the hull and if this would be a good plan for you. "

"You guys are great. The only

"You guys are great. The only thing more expensive than boats are airplanes. I got my decision made up for me today when I pulled my outdrive apart to change the seals in the lower end and found I could read part numbers in the metal shavings in the lower end. Nice. I called my nice volvo penta dealer and he informed me the gears for that drive have been discontinued and ebay was a good idea. I informed him I was no longer doing business with his fine establishment. I am parting out the engine and what is left of the lower unit and converting to an outboard. Tired of messing with this old junk and not getting any fishing done. So thanks for your help and if anyone needs any 170 parts (good head, decent exhaust, dreadfull solex carbs, and any thing else let me know as I will be selling at cheap prices.) Thanks for all your help and hopefully I will see you on the water next summer but I doubt it as most of you live 3000+ miles away
wink.gif
. If the outboard thing does not seem to be working, I know of a good spot of 1000+ feet of water that this little baby will be. Could make some great shrimping
"

Back