Logo

1989 23L omc that misses at higher speeds

buckfillier

"Hi. I have a 2.3 L OMC on a 1

"Hi. I have a 2.3 L OMC on a 17.5ft bayliner. The engine was performing really good when I first took it out this year. I completed a tune-up that included changing oil, filter, fuel filter, plugs, wires, dist cap, and rotor.

Now, it starts really well and runs perfect at lower speeds. However, any more than half throttle, it starts missing and will shut off (if I keep it there). If it shuts off, it will start again with no problem.

I am not sure what the problem could be. I have read that it could be sv on the tank. I thought it might have been water but that has been ruled out. I think that it is a fuel shortage problem.

Any suggestions on where to start?

Thanks.
Buck"

"Your fuel tank should have an

"Your fuel tank should have an anti-syphon valve, usually where the engine fuel line attaches, these can get sticky with crap and restrict the fuel. Take it off and clean it out. Could also be the pick up tube in the tank or even the fuel tank air vent, make sure the line has no sharp kinks and that the end is clear of debris and bugs."

"double check the the plug wir

"double check the the plug wires and maybe 2 are crossed.

If you reply i checked them i will reply check them again.

Your problem presented itself right after all the work you did, then re-check everything.

Right plugs, rotor making good contact with cap, weights moving freely in the dist., cap on tight, plug wires on tight.

No grounding out of the dist. maybe?

Timing is good?"

Thanks Bob. I will check the a

Thanks Bob. I will check the anti-syphon valve today. I have already checked the vent line and it is good. I have not checked the pick up line in the tank (will check).

Thanks Chiefalan. What do you mean by 'Plug wires crossed'? Do you mean wires on the wrong plug or just wires crossing each other? I have checked my work over about 10 times and I can't find anything wrong. I do believe the timing is good but not sure about the grounding out of the dist. Which grounding are you talking about?

I will check these things and get back. Thanks again Bill and Chiefalen for your suggestions.

Buck

I have a question for the pros

I have a question for the pros.
one of the engines on my 89 doral @ 2200 rpms it runs rough like if you remove one of the plugs. I cheked all the cables one by one ( disconnecting each one ) and they all seem tobe allright. lower rpms or higher it smooths out.
any clue what it might be? checked the counter weights in the distributer seem to move freely.
engine 4.3 ltr 225 horse Gmc

"randolph Fillier
This sound

"randolph Fillier
This sounds like the same thing i had, it turned out to be the dwell, the points should be around .016. Sometimes when the RPMS are up and the points are two far apart it will make the miss really apparent! I think that the other gentleman was trying to say to make sure the firring order is correct. I did that right out of the trailer. It didn't have a top end and missed terribly. So I start with the worse possible ting and end up with two wires mixed up. Grrr, and on a four cylinder too, LOL"

"Thanks Steve. I checked all t

"Thanks Steve. I checked all the fuel lines and things last night. Found a couple large pieces of dirt in the fuel filter (could have been the problem) but I did not get a chance to try it yet. Rechecked the wires and I did have a couple of wires crossed but I think the firing sequence is good (1-3-4-2). Next, I will try it. If the problem is still there, I will check the points and change the condenser.

I was woudering if it could be the fuel pump or the carb? I use a bottle of carb cleaner last night as well.
Thanks for the input everyone!!!!!

Captain Peter. If you have a new question, you should start a new discussion. It makes it hard to follow if you change topic half way through. Thanks.

Buck"

Back