Logo

Stuck distributer cap

stockman

Hello to all I have a 1988 tri

Hello to all I have a 1988 triton 170 merc 4.3 l thunderbolt iv . I cant get the distributer cap off . It look like it has been there for years. Any ideas ? Thanks DaveR

"If the screws are siezed use

"If the screws are siezed use a Dremel w/a cutoff blade to cut around each cap screw tab leaving the screws w/tab intact. Make a crosscut in the tab next to each screw w/o touching the screw. Remove the cap and carefully remove the tabs around each screw w/a small chisel and hammer w/o breaking off the screws.

Next saturate the area top and bottom around the screws w/PB Blaster to help dissolve the corrosion. Wait a few hours and GENTLY TRY to turn each screw back/forth w/a large screwdriver. Repeat process as needed to remove screws. Use a locking pliers if needed. If a screw breaks off, file it flush, center punch it and carefully drill it out and tap it."

We used to use pb but have bee

We used to use pb but have been using a different product with what seems to be better results it's called Aerokroil

just a thought

"One of those micro butane tor

"One of those micro butane torches works very well, too. Just be careful with the carb and the fuel vapor hazard."

Back