Logo

Tohatsu M40c running problems

camevely

"Hello everyone first post, al

"Hello everyone first post, also my first year boating which went pretty well up to lately.

Tohatsu M40c 361A 51701 blue unit silver cover.

I need help. My frist problem was when the engine cut out after meeting some wake. It tried and failed to start again, I was close to shore and rowed to the slip-way.

I feared big trouble but when it ran at home in a tub my friend and I got a little cheeky and decieded to wire the key start without any knowledge of what we were doing.

I KNOW!!! I KNOW!!! HOW STUPID? Don't answer that part please. The end result was no spark and a smokey cdi unit.

So I set about getting a cdi unit and found a local marine shop had one from a 35hp Tohatsu which looked the same as mine. I ended up buying the engine and have taken the recoil system and a control wire from it so far, so it has paid for itself allready.

I fitted the new cdi unit started and ran at home no problems so to the lake i went.
Again it stoped at low speed, high speed, after 1 minute, 15 seconds, 5 minutes in other words at no particular time or speed but it started again nearly allways first pull.

We concluded dirty fuel and rowed back again and home for a complete fuel system cleaning.My friend done this taking apart the carb and cleaning it with petrol (he said this was normal to use he used it before) and it was sunday with no access to anything else.

So to the lake again problem not fixed but with a little fooling around with the idle screw a bit better.

We did nothing extra to the engine and took it out again sunday morning it cut out after maybe 2 min and again 30 min later in full trottle but then ran all day no problems all speeds.

Last sunday had it out again and it would run fine at up to 50/60% trottle but after that within 30 seconds of WOT. it died, but started frist time again. Took the primer bulb off the line as it was sometimes very hard but this made no difference.

Thats it as much as I can think of.
Sorry for the long letter but I tought the more info the better."

You need to break out the serv

You need to break out the service manual and start the trouble shooting procedures. I would start with the fuel system section.

Thank you Tohatsu Guru
Also c

Thank you Tohatsu Guru
Also can you give me an idea of the year of the engine from the details above please?

Back