Logo

Tohatsu 25 HP 2 stroke wonbt keep running

michaels_boat

"I have a 25 HP tohatsu that w

"I have a 25 HP tohatsu that was just given to me, I cleaned the fuel lines and tank, cleaned the carburetor and checked the plugs. I can get it to start nut will only run for a few seconds, it will accelerate but cut out. It dies at idle or higher RPM. Any ideas?"

You need to break out the serv

You need to break out the service manual and start the trouble shooting procedures. I would start with the fuel system section.

"This is my experences with a

"This is my experences with a 30 HP 1996 Tohatsu, which is the same as yours depending on the year model. You think you have cleaned the carb, but I bet that you find out just like I did...it is not clean! It took FOUR(4) tries removing and cleaning for me to get mine clean and I did what I thought was a through clean. Only after I cleaned the drilled holes that enter the two jet cavities. I used a small copper wire and threaded it down thru those jet holes and followed with a strong blast of carb cleaner and compressed air! Only after getting all the dried varnish out did my engine run right. If I had it to do again, I would use some type of carb soak and let it soak a couple days ...read the directions on the product that you use. Also there are 3 tiny holes inside the throat of the carb that must be clean and open! That idle screw on the top rear right side must be open into those 3 throat holes and into the low speed jet well. Be careful ...use only a soft wire and do not open any holes larger than they should be! Only open them up!
Good luck and go clean!

Jimmy K"

Back