Logo

Aq130c only do 1500 rpm in gear

tonyr5500

"hi again hope you are all wel

"hi again hope you are all well, got out on the boat today running all ok will rev fine out of gear but will only rev up to 1500rpm in gear and the steering seems to be hard to turn and wont go in a straight line, does any one have any idea's what is wrong am thinking may be the prop is wrong as i had the leg change a month or so ago and this is the first time out after all the engine prob's i have had.
any idea's are welcome many thanks."

"There is a whole shopping lis

"There is a whole shopping list of potential issues. However, to help us figure out if the prop is the problem.... What is a "Seahawk 2+2" for us guys on the "other side of the pond"
(Length, beam, type, hull type, displacement)
and what size prop is on there now?

Also not clear if this is a "new to you boat" i.e., did it ever run OK in its present configuration?"

"hi rob, she is shetland seaha

"hi rob, she is shetland seahawk 21ft long 7ft beam, v shape planning hull am not sure what you mean by displacemant? have called the marine place that changed the leg for me and they have said the prop that is on there had a v8 running it so this could be the reason or it could be timing? i dont understand why it would be timeing if she runs a ok when not in gear but could be wrong! am not sure the size of the prop but looking at other peaples props in the marine that have the same sort of size boat it is almost double the size, it only just misses the top part of the lower leg where the exhuast/water comes out, the boat is new to me got it around two months ago and had the leg changed as it looked like sum thing had been eating it so iam unsure how well if atall it worked

many thanks"

"Displacement = weight

RE:

"Displacement = weight

RE: the leg and the prop...

Your FIRST and biggest problem (in my opinion) is your mechanic.

To put a leg on your 4 cylinder boat with a prop that was on a V8 is gross stupidity. Also... 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder and V8 engines REQUIRE DIFERENT "legs"... the difference being the reduction ratio. Which "leg" do you have?

There is a plate on the drive on top, next to the top bellows with a serial number... It should start with 27.... It will end in a letter that is stamped on and sometimes hard to read. What is that letter? This letter determines (threoretically) what the drive reduction ratio is. Why "theoretically".... well the drive ratio is determined by the gears in the lower 1/3 of the leg, not the top... And many 200 series drives have been "repaired" without any regard for retention of the ratio that corresponds to the plate.
I'm willing to wager you that the leg is also from a V8. If that's the case, it is highly unlikely that you will be able to find a prop that will get that boat to run correctly."

"hi again rob, the weight of h

"hi again rob, the weight of her iam unsure may be around 1.5 tonnes, i under stand what you are saying about fitting the prop from a v8 onto a 4cyl i did think it was'nt the best idea that they have had, the leg is a 270 or so i was told! am going to the boat tomorro if i can finsh work early i will see if i can find the plate, do you know if the 270 is the right leg for the aq130c engine?
thanks for your time rob."

"There is no "right leg&#3

"There is no "right leg" for a 130 engine. It will happily run in front of a 250, 270, 280 or 290 drive (with matching transom shield) IF THE RATIO is correct."

"ok thanks, do you know what t

"ok thanks, do you know what the "RATIO" should be or where i can find out what it should be?

thanks again"

"The correct reduction ratio f

"The correct reduction ratio for a 4 cylinder is 2.15:1. The letter stamped at the end of the S/N should be a "D", i.e. your drive should be a "270D" drive.

Now... regardless of what it says, i.e. 270 B, 270C or 270D, the ratio can be anything. The definative way to check is to:
1) Remove the prop
2) remove the line cutter
3) remove the zinc ring.

Stamped on the housing next to the prop shaft will be the real ratio number. If there is no number there, then the lower bearing carrier is an aftermarket one and determining the actual ratio will be...."onerous at best"."

"ok thanks rob i will have loo

"ok thanks rob i will have look tomorro if i can get there and will let you know how i get on, many thanks again for all your help so far.

tony"

"hi, managed to get to the boa

"hi, managed to get to the boat today, could'nt see the ratio on the leg due to the tide being in, change the prop for a smaller one and she got upto 3000 rpm what should she rev up to? also there was a small amount of oil that had come out of the oil filler cap is there any reason as to why this may happen?

thanks tony"

Back