Logo

Canbt get Force 85 engine to start

retirednelsons

"I have a 1985 Bayliner, Bass

"I have a 1985 Bayliner, Bass Trophy boat with a 85 Force engine. It will not start... I turn the key and get nothing. I can push down on the ignition switch and engage the choke, but it will not turn over. I get power to the solenoid from the battery side... but on the other side go up to the starter I get no power. I can take a wire and jump it and get the starter to turn, so I know the starter is working. Could it be the ignition switch, it is a six terminal, three position and push choke switch. Could this be the problem or is it the solenoid relay? If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. It just started and has been working find up to this point.
Thanks,

George"

"I'm not a professional me

"I'm not a professional mechanic so take my words with a grain of salt until a pro verifies what I say but I own the same boat as you except mine is a 1984 model.
I too had that problem and in my case it was the starter switch but that may not be your problem. The starter circuit is actually pretty simple. When you turn the key it sends power to the solenoid and connects the battery to the starter.
My advice would be to first check the key switch. Check the connections on the back. I don't know which one it is but there is one terminal that will become hot when you turn the key to the start position. If you get current thru that terminal when in the start position, then check to see if you get current thru both sides of the solenoid when the key switch is in the start position.
If no power at the switch, then that's the problem. If there is current at the switch but not at the solenoid, time for a new solenoid.
Just follow the power."

I had the same problem with my

I had the same problem with my ignition switch. Turned out it was a fault on the engine kill wire (Black and yellow on my 1994 120hp). Try removing this from the terminal and see if the engine will turn. If you get it started don't re-connect the kill wire as it will short and burn. If this is the solution you need a new igition switch.

Back