Logo

ENGINES STALL

otsquare

"I HAD A PROBLEM WITH ONE ENGI

"I HAD A PROBLEM WITH ONE ENGINE STALLING AFTER RUNNING ABOUT A HALF HOUR. I SWITCHED COILS BETWEEN ENGINES AND THE PROBLEM WENT TO THE OTHER ENGINE. PROBLEM SOLVED,I THOUGHT. PUT NEW AUTOMOTIVE COIL ON ENGINE TO MAKE SURE THAT WAS THE PROBLEM. BOAT RAN GREAT FOR ABOUT AN HOUR. NOW BOTH ENGINES ARE DOING IT AGAIN. THEY START TO MISFIRE AND LOSE POWER, POP THROUGH CARB AND SOMETIMES DIE COMPLETELY. POINTS,CONDENSER,CAP, ROTOR ALL NEW. THE FUEL PICKUP TUBES ARE OK. ENGINE IDLES FINE AND WILL RUN UP AROUND 1500 RPM. THEY WILL REV UP IN NEUTRAL WITH NO PROBLEM. THE COILS HAVE EXTERNAL RESISTORS. THE ONLY THING I HAVE NOT CHANGED ARE THE RESISTORS"

"Auto coil is ok for troublesh

"Auto coil is ok for troubleshooting but not a good choice for long term use.

For the few bucks, I'd change the resistors. If both coils need replalcing you can consider getting the 'internal resistor' coils and eliminate the things. Check the old ones, especially on the originally troubled engine; if it 'shorted' it could have damaged both coils.

I'd also get out the fuel pressure gauge and verify you have fuel pressure - at idle and at elevated RPM.

Make sure the dwell & the timing (at idle and advance) are correct, too."

I had the same problem a few y

I had the same problem a few years back and found that the previous owner had 2 spark plug wires swapped. Put them to the proper firing order and no more trouble.

Back