Logo

Ouch

jmorton

"Hello everyone.
Brand new

"Hello everyone.
Brand new here due to the fact I'm having problems with my outdrive. I have an 89 Bayliner Capri, 5.0L OMC engine, and an OMC Cobra outdrive. Was on the lake two weeks ago for the first time this season. Ran out about 1/4 mile and heard some awful noises from the rear then the boat quit moving. Put it in gear and I hear knocking noises from the outdrive and the prop won't turn. I know this is very vague but does this sound familiar to anyone? Am I in for an expensive repair or can these usually be overhauled at home reasonably? I will be removing the outdrive soon for a teardown so I can give more info later, just looking for an initial opinion. Also, do I need to make or buy a fixture to mount the outdrive on to make it easier to overhaul (like an engine stand)?
Keeping my fingers crossed that it's something not too expensive.
Thanks in advance!"

Get a manual and read it. Then

Get a manual and read it. Then you can decide if you are up to it.

"I have no doubts as to whethe

"I have no doubts as to whether I'm up to it, just wondering based on the description of the problem, what kind of cost to expect."

"all we got is knocking noise.

"all we got is knocking noise...
from experience, I can accurately say the repair for "knocking noise and no drive" will cost somewhere between
$200 (vortex prop drive hub broken) to $4000 (drive seized from gear meltdown and then broken u-joint cleaned out the gimbal housing)

However in the latter scenario, you probably would have been sinking.(although I have seen the d/s bellows hang on and keep the boat floating..)"

"I guess I titled this thread

"I guess I titled this thread correctly, OUCH!
With the prop not turning under power, but fine by hand, I'm assuming the worst. Hopefully I'm wrong......."

"Best thing to do is get an OM

"Best thing to do is get an OMC factory manual so you can read up on the procedures, some of the special tools are not required for teardown but for re-assembly. Pull the lower unit drain plug out and see if there is any metal in the oil, if so then a complete teardown will be required. You can also take the very top cover off (4 screws) try not to damage the seal and check the gears in the upper for damage."

"Hi Jake,
Did you tear into y

"Hi Jake,
Did you tear into your outdrive yet ?
I had a similar problem with my OMC Cobra 400. It ended up being the drive shaft splines. Mine has two drive shafts connected by a spline. Corrosion had whittled them away until they slipped. The sound was not nocking though. It was a loud metallic whirring."

"Haven't torn it down yet

"Haven't torn it down yet but did remove the top cover and found the upper gears trashed. Trying to find a reasonably prices set of gears right now, even used. All I'm finding so far is $700.
Anyone have a source for used parts?"

Jake you might find it cheaper

Jake you might find it cheaper to go to the sei website they make a conversion to a merc sei.

Ercik you have a stringer drive not a cobra" yours is a 400 stringer "

Back