Logo

Problem with exhaust bolts matching up with head on volvo AQ125A

baylinerbetty

This is a on going headache ca

This is a on going headache causing all kinds of problems and leaks and now it wont start. Any helful hints out there?

"How does one thing relate to

"How does one thing relate to the other; i.e.exhaust manifold bolts not lining-up with the head and the engine not starting?
question.gif

And what kind of hints are you asking for anyway? I know of many reasons why an engine will not start, but none of them are related with the exhaust manifold bolts not lining-up with the head."

"I just replaced the exhaust m

"I just replaced the exhaust manifold on my AQ125A last month. If you have the correct manifold for your engine, the holes should line up. I bought a Barr aftermarket manifold and it fit great and is well made. Just a thought. Maybe you need to flip the gaskets around 180 degrees, I don`t know if they fit the same no mater which way they are installed or not. Good luck!"

"I purchased the boat needing

"I purchased the boat needing repairs, fixed by replacing exhaust manifold with a new one from ebasic power, When i was installing it, one of the bolts didnt line up and that was why the previous manifold was drilled out to make it fit(but went to far, causing leaks + lots of things to be fixed.I Got everything fixed got it running great, eccept for the exhaust leak. tore it back down twice. Then Mr know it all says I can fix it...He put in studs instead of bolts, which caused the head to break off where the bolt goes in. And now water is leaking out,}} loud knocking exhaust leak....it dies while at docking speed and hasnt started sense....tried everything...could it be related...I think not!!!"

"Sounds like you may need a ne

"Sounds like you may need a new head depending on how much of the surface is left where the gasket sits on the head. If it was only one bolt that didn`t line up. Maybe someone else broke off a bolt, drilled it out, (off center) and put in a helicoil. If you don`t know what you are doing, you can VERY EASLY run the drill off to the side and the bolt holes will not line up."

"If the head is in bad conditi

"If the head is in bad condition, your best bet is to replace it. Your engine is nothing but a marinized B21 Volvo car engine, same block and head as the ones installed on 1976-1982 Volvo 242 cars. If you can get one of those heads from auto wreckers, you just have to install the cam from your current head, as the car cam is not suitable for marine use (you would not get enough torque). Consider taking the opportunity to also replace the three timing gears if they are corroded."

"Pam, I'd advise you to ha

"Pam, I'd advise you to have only a marine mechanic with this particular engine experience to complete this job for you.
The automotive guys may be fine, but there are the little subtle differences that these guys just aren't going to know of.

."

Back