Logo

Uneven exhaust

troydk

"I have a 2003 Alpha 3.0 stern

"I have a 2003 Alpha 3.0 sterndrive. Yesterday I noticed that the exhaust (water and exhaust) was coming mainly from the right side, less from the left side (looking at the lower drive). The boat is on the trailer when not on the water. I noticed this when I was running at full RPM/Speed and discovered an unusual amount of water jetting up and out on the port side of the boat. Have never had any issues nor have I ever replaced anything. I have owned the boat new. Engine was not running hot, no water in the transom, oil is clean. I ran a fresh water supply through the engine today and can see that the exhaust flow is very uneven, heavy on the right. I detect two exhaust openings, at the bottom of the drive. Not sure if it is related, but the tach. was off yesterday bouncing from pin to pin although the engine was running at a constant RPM. Thanks in advance for any advice!"

Exhaust water flow sounds norm

Exhaust water flow sounds normal; my V-6 does it. The tach may have loose/dirty connections on the back or is needing replaced.

Back