Logo

Marine Growth

neversummer

Regular Contributor
"My boat is slipped in the oce

"My boat is slipped in the ocean and while I certainly understand that marine growth affects performance, I am wondering to what extent it can have an impact. I let the boat sit for about 4 weeks and noticed heavy marine growth on the outdrive when I took her out this week. At first she would not plane and then after a while I got on plane but no more than about 3/4 speed, and couldnt get RPM above 3000 or so. My question is: should i suspect that a good outdrive brushing will help considerably or should I look into other causes of the poor performance? Sorry for the somewhat vague question, 5.0 mercruiser with alpha 1 drive."

"Cleaning the drive & prop

"Cleaning the drive & prop will help but you need to check the hull, too. The hull has much more surface area and will be the driving factor.

Easiest way to avoid this is more frequent use."

"Well Ted,
I've got a 279

"Well Ted,
I've got a 279 Slickcraft with a 496MAG & Bravo 1 - If I do not clean the bottom once a month I go from 40 MPH to 17! The best thing I can say (adding to makomark) is keep the bottom clean. Less salad hanging from the bottom is less friction on the hull. Good boating to you."

Capt. Ted:

The boys are rig

Capt. Ted:

The boys are right. The hull can be painted w/marine growth inhibiters. Th OD can also be painted but don't use copper based paint on the
OD. I've read about a cayenne pepper treated paint that works on the OD.

"Guy,
I"ve heard about us

"Guy,
I"ve heard about using cayenne pepper mixed into the paint but have never tried it myself. My outdrive is painted too but with outdrive paint (from a spray can). This is important also - metal and bottom paint don't mix well."

"Gentlemen,if I may offer my 2

"Gentlemen,if I may offer my 2 cents I would like to jump in and say,I am a diver and I do bottoms as well as all other boat work and I can offer this,cayenne pepper DOES work up here in jersey,there is also a product being used in florida that is new and is supposed to almost eliminate growth,I will be trying it on a couple of boats that stay in over the winter to see how it works,but no ,people do not grasp the importantance of a clean drive and bottom and yes they both need to be done at the same time,otherwise the aerodynamic effect of the drive and cav plates serve no propose,it is like strapping a giant piece of concrete to the back of the boat and trying to get up on plane,Please,this is an issue I am very well versed in and have been doing for a long time,I have customers with twin 454's who go from 45 knots to not being able to get on plane,then with a simple in water cleaning for 100.00 or 150.00 ,they are amazed!not only with performance but fuel usage as well!Also,try to avoid HARD bottom paint and don't use spray on drive paint,use the brush on type and mix it with ALOT of pepper!and feel free to call me,I will be happy to come to Florida to clean your boat,it would be REALLY nice to be able to SEE what I am doing!! LOL !!!!!"

Back