Logo

PIRANHA PROPS

HAVE ANY OF YOU EVER RAN ONE O

HAVE ANY OF YOU EVER RAN ONE OF THESE COMPOSITE PROPS? IF SO WOULD YOU SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT THEM. I AM LOOKING AT BUYING ONE FOR MY BOAT. IT IS AN AQ120B/270 SETUP. ALSO WOULD BE INTERESTED ON VIEWS ABOUT 3 OR 4 BLADE SETUPS. THANKS IN ADVANCE-ADAM

"Hi Adam,

I have a 4-blade

"Hi Adam,

I have a 4-blade Piranha on my Four Winns Horizon 180 with the Volvo 4.3GL. I replaced the stock aluminum 3-blade after hitting a submerged tree, taking a big chunk out of one of the blades. I have been very satisfied with mine. I have 2 different pitch sets, one for sea-level, and one for running at high altitude. They are very easy to change, and I can even do it in the water. The obvious advantage is that if you hit something, you can change out the affected blade(s) and be back on the water in less than 30 minutes. The replacement blades are cheap enough that I carry spares with me under the seat, so I'll never be stranded and/or have to limp back.

Call and talk to Piranha about your specific application; they were very helpful when I was considering my options. They make both the 3- and 4-blade hub; a 4-blade will give you a better hole shot, a 3-blade will give you better top speed and slightly better fuel economy.

I considered a simple replacement with aluminum, an upgrade to stainless, and the composite Piranha. The advantage to the stainless was straightforward, but the downside is more nuanced. Obviously with the stainless, you get less flex, and should get a better hole shot. The downside is you just beefed up probably the least expensive part in your drive-line. Hit a rock with an aluminum or composite prop, you'll break the prop. Hit it with stainless, and you may just break something further up the driveline.

As for performance, I definitely have a better hole shot than the stock aluminum 3-blade; not sure whether that's the composite or 4 blades. I have an 18' bowrider, with the 4.3L GL and SX outdrive; this boat, loaded with 7 passengers (the hull is CG approved for 8) can pull me (200 lbs) out of the water on a slalom ski. It does have a slower top-speed than the 3-blade, but it does what I need it to.

Hope this helps."

"That's 8 passengers at 14

"That's 8 passengers at 140 lbs each. Sooo, if you have a couple of Sumo wrestlers on board :)"

Back