Logo

Steering difficulty

vandyman

"I'm new here but thorough

"I'm new here but thoroughly enjoy the great posts/responses, and hope to contribute as I learn more. I just bought a 2000 Caravelle 232 I'ceptor with the 5.7L/Alpha 1 package. It seems to run well and true with the current prop (19"SS). At idle and in no-wake zones, it steers easily. However, once on plane, it takes quite a bit of muscle (very difficult) to steer. The boat has low hours(~150) and seems to have been well lubed/maintained. Is this a common problem or enough detail for any preliminary prognoses? If it were the steering cable, I would think it would be difficult to steer at low speeds... it's as if the power steering is not working at higher speeds. Any input is greatly appreciated... thank you."

Check for extra play at the cl

Check for extra play at the clevis pins. The inner and outer cable must work in order to actuate the spool.If these are sloppy the message is not transmitted to tell the power steering to activate.
Make sure the outer cable is not jammed up on the bulkhead. This makes it not have the ability to work back and forth.

Thanks very much.... will chec

Thanks very much.... will check these things tonight and see if that's it. Just got a new prop and hope to trial tomorrow.

Back