Logo

89 OMC Cobra Outdrive 23 L Ford

jbutman

"I had a shaft break in my out

"I had a shaft break in my outdrive that I had posted about before. I replaced everything I needed to, and some things just for maintenance. I put the outdrive back on, started the boat and it runs pretty good. No overheating, but when I idle at higher RPM's, there doesn't seem to be much water spitting out of the lower unit port. Also, it sounds like there is some vibration or a kind of grinding at higher RPM's. Could the water output problem be the need for a new impeller? I did use an alignment tool before putting the lower unit back on, but is it possible that it is binding a little making some noise? The alignement tool easily went in as far as it should, but the tool didn't have any splines so could that be a problem? Just wondering if 1: should there be more water coming out of the lower unit port hole; and 2: could the drive shaft splines be out of whack?"

I tested things and the impell

I tested things and the impeller pump is working properly. I'm just not sure the engine circulating pump is working. Does anyone know a good way to test that?

Thanks.

We had all sort's of probl

We had all sort's of problems with our's even put new pump on engine .
It is worth checking the TH stat is right way round and working also we had air lock problems it would not pump unless took Hose of the engine .Found this to be a air leak in the dummy pump houseing in bottom of leg .
If you need new engine pump drop me a line we have new one not being used

"Thanks for the info. Where w

"Thanks for the info. Where would I find a good procedure for testing the T-stat? I've read a way to test for air, so I could do that too. It seems that at an idle the water flows freely out of the ejection port on the lower unit, but at higher RPM's, it just kind of spurts out like there isn't much water getting through the motor."

Take the stat out put it in wa

Take the stat out put it in water on cooker and bring temp up it should open before boiling . There is a bypass in the casting by the stat to alow water past the stat when it is closed make sure that is not blocked up.

Back