Logo

1986 43 OMC Cobra

joeort

Does anyone out there know the

Does anyone out there know the step by step procedure in removing the engine on my 1986 sea sprite?? Some people have told me that all i have to do is remove the engine and just slide it forward so it can disengage from the splines off the outdrive... Is it that simple?? (First time boat owner)

"Easiest and safest to remove

"Easiest and safest to remove drive first.
Then disaconnect all electrics, cables etc, take off the two rear engine mount nuts, forward engine mounts (take out the bolts/screws into stringer).
Then slide the engine 1" forward and lift up."

I just didnt want to ruin the

I just didnt want to ruin the seal from the drive and the boat.. So it wouldnt clear just by sliding it forward from the splines?

Are you afraid of replacing a

Are you afraid of replacing a paper gasket?
6 nuts and the bolt through the trim rams are all that holds the drive. The paper gasket may even be replaced with sealant. The most important sealing is done by the collar of the bearing housing pressing towards the joint bellow. Removing the drive and you may grease/check the joints.
And finally:
You will have to remove the drive anyway to check alignment after reinstalling the engine.

I didnt know how it was sealed

I didnt know how it was sealed. But it seems like its simple. Thanks. Another question... Is it possible to replace the block with an automotive block?? I know the cam are different.

Back