Logo

OMC outdrive maintenance help

juniinc

"Hello,
I sold my bayliner Ca

"Hello,
I sold my bayliner Capri then just picked up a Four winns Freedom 195 with cobra outdrive.
Before I put her in the water, I'd like to check the gear oil.
1 How do I check the oil? I see a dipstick on the top,,,Is that all I need to do?
2 Is that dipstick for both upper&lower case?
3 I see a exhaust bellow at the bootom. I hooked up a muff then water is coming out from the whole bunch of holes on the bellow. Is that normal?
Any input would be much appreciated!
Thanks."

The upper and lower gear oil a

The upper and lower gear oil are combined. The dipstick shows the level for both provided the unit was filled properly. The Cobra must be filled from the side (starboard) plug. If it is filled from the bottom an air pocket is created and you will have a false level on the dipstick causing gear failure.
The slits on the bottom of the exhaust bellows are normal.

"Thanks much!
I sprayed some

"Thanks much!
I sprayed some WD40 & finally got a big enough screw driver to do it. I'm gonna give it a shot,,,"

"The dip stick screw just won&

"The dip stick screw just won't budge.
On the cover,I see 4 large bolts attached,,,,,
Is it possible to remove those 4 bolts to pull the dipstick out?
Thanks."

Yes you can remove the top cov

Yes you can remove the top cover. Do you have an impact screwdriver? They work pretty well.

"I've had luck with this t

"I've had luck with this technique. Grab a big screwdriver and a hammer. Line up the screwdriver at a low angle on the outer edge of the dispstick slot and gently tap in a counter-clockwise direction. Essentially, you're trying to move the dipstick in a "rotational" manner (kinda like a vector thing). It does not take much to get it started. Do NOT hit hard - you're just trying to get past that initial friction.

Hope this makes sense."

"I ended up removing the over.

"I ended up removing the over.
Photo taken earlier, over all in pretty good condition.
Thanks
291834.jpg
oil

Back