Logo

Compatible outdrives with Volvo Penta AQ 110100 engine

georgetown

"We recently bought a 17 foot

"We recently bought a 17 foot 1962 Hydrodyne runabout with a 4 cylinder Volvo Penta AQ 110/100 engine and AQ 100B outdrive. The engine runs great but the outdrive doesn't work because critical parts like the sliding sleeve and gear set are missing. No one seems to have these parts in stock because they're so old. Rather than order a new (and expensive) AQ 100B outdrive from Volvo Penta, we are considering swapping out the old outdrive for a different, more current model but don't have any idea which ones are compatible with our existing engine. Anyone know if there are other more available outdrives (Volvo Penta or even Mercruiser) that would work? Thanks for your help!"

"Is this what is missing in yo

"Is this what is missing in your drive?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo-Penta-Upper-Unit-100-AQ100-AQ125_W0QQcmdZVi ewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem2a009a68c9QQitemZ180398745801QQptZBoa tQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

In any case, I think you would be better off getting a complete package (engine, exhaust, transom shield, drive, bellhousing). They come often for saleon eBay and Craigslist. If you go for Volvo Penta, you will likely have to make a larger hole and different holes for the bolts. And if you go for Mercruiser, you will likely need a transom shield adapter."

"Thank you for your help. Jus

"Thank you for your help. Just checked E-Bay, only 1 day left, I hope I'll get it. It is the one that I am looking for! I am glad you found it for me."

"Or, since this is one drive t

"Or, since this is one drive that will continue to be difficult to find parts for, replace the entire drive with a later unit...... transom shield on back.

You can find these (270 or 280) for the 4 cylinder engines very inexpensively since they just don't wear out.
It is a Supply/Demand thing!
These boats seem to rot out way before the drives reach the end of their usable life span.

Either way, good luck to you on this!"

"One bidder -- it looks like y

"One bidder -- it looks like you won the 100A upper unit, but you may have to be careful of compatibility issues between the 100A and 100B. There were a few internal changes. Let us know what you find.

If you must replace, look for a 200-series outdrive and transom plate: it should bolt right up to the AQ110, with only a minor exhaust mod necessary. You could also find an AQ130 to match.

now have 3 Hydrodynes w/ Volvo 100 outdrives and would recommend that, for a good boat, you should always try to keep the original configuration intact: it's usually cheaper. I personally saw four 100 outdrives in one warehouse this spring just waiting for a buyer.

Good luck!"

"[b]Quoting Michael and Meliss

"Quoting Michael and Melissa George: "Rather than order a new (and expensive) AQ 100B outdrive from Volvo Penta, we are considering <u>swapping out the old outdrive for a different, more current model</u> but don't have any idea which ones are compatible with our existing engine. Anyone know if there are other more available outdrives (Volvo Penta or even Mercruiser) that would work?"

I read this as though they'd rather NOT go with the 100 drive replacement!

See my previous post # 4. That is what I'd do if in the same situation as you.
And don't throw good money after bad, either! No to Mercruiser!
Purchase and install a 250 or later complete drive..... they are inexpensive comparitively speaking!

The steering sytem is a better design, the drive is a better unit, etc.

If you can't find these parts, I can put you in touch with a man that has them.

."

"We are speaking of repairing

"We are speaking of repairing a borderline antique boat here...there are two philosophical paths to follow: restore or modify.

When servicing on a modification path, the goal will be to use the most convenient modern replacement parts available (words like "renovate","upgrade" or "repower" are often used). The underlying belief is that a newer part will always be better: that a modified boat will perform better than when it was new. Followup service can be confusing, and newer parts are not immune from having problems (as evidenced in the huge volume of this V-P forum!). With modification, the end value of the boat will usually never equal the total cost outlay.

When servicing it on a restoration path, the goal will be to keep it functionally reliable with original parts while preserving the boat in its original configuration. The underlying belief is that an old part will work just fine; that an unmodified boat is more appealing, more valuable and will be quick to sell. Parts/service can be challenging, but if you buy an old boat, the nostalgic appeal of its vintage is probably what hooked you in the first place.

I am a restorationist and would advocate that the 100 is still a viable outdrive for a seasonal pleasure boat on populated rivers/lakes. Ricardo may advise differently. Perhaps I'm in the wrong forum?

It's your boat, so both paths are open...."

"Woody, I fully appreciate you

"Woody, I fully appreciate your philosophy on this..... I really do.
I have done some great and rewarding historical home renovations in the past, and fully enjoyed keeping with the original architecture.

Had it not been for Michael's and Melissa's comment (the one that I quoted above) I'd not have suggested this as strongly.
And no.... you are not in the wrong forum! Much appreciated comments.
happy.gif

Again, unless the boat has some exceptional classic boat value in remaining all original, I believe that the reliability of the later Volvo Penta drives alone would make this worth while for me.
It may even get them on the water sooner!"

Back