Logo

1973 AQ170 with 3 Solex Carbs HELP

camperfind

"I tried to start a 1973 Glast

"I tried to start a 1973 Glastron AQ170 with 3 Solex carbs today after receiving it from my father. To my amazement I could turn the motor using a socket on the fly wheel with out any problems. After that I cut the fuel line before the fuel pump and extended a hose into a fresh can of gas. After several times the engine turned over and ran for a second or two. However, when it quit running, after initial start, I noticed fuel coming from the spark arrestor above the carbs.

After removing the arrestor, fire extinguisher in hand, noticed fuel being pumped like a "perculator", coming from an opening above the carb's as I tried to restart the engine. Once I saw that I stopped and replaced the arrestor.

Questions:
1. Why do I have excessive fuel coming out of the top of all three carb's? Fuel pump pressure or, if equipped, stuck floats in the carb's?

2. How to identify the correct Solex carb's I am dealing with?

3. Is it worth the battle or should I recycle the boat I learned to ski behind. I know dad would like to go out on it for, hopefully, one more time. However, he can not afford to pay for the repairs or the ability to do it himself.

Any opinions / suggestions / advice will be greatly appreciated.

From Ohio"

"1) Stuck floats in carb i

"1) Stuck floats in carb is my guess.
2) What do you need that requires an ID?
3) I rebuild my 3 solex over this winter at a cost of $50.00 each for the kits. The difference was amazing. I ended up having to make my own fuel line though, because the original one between the fuel pump and carbs started deteriorated with age. Lots of rubber pieces in the fuel bowls. Solex are the easiest carbs to rebuild."

"Mr. Raymond,

Thanks for th

"Mr. Raymond,

Thanks for the input! As for ID, all I see on the carb's is the word Solex. How does one tell which model of carb's they are? I looked on iboats.com and they have several rebuild kits available.

Ohio"

"They are probably the 44 PA1

"They are probably the 44 PA1 carbs, which were standard Solex carbs for the 4 and 6 cyl inline volvo engines. The kits include different gaskets to cover most years. I did alot of research on Google before I rebuilt them. Really easy to do. Just make sure you do one at a time so that if you are not sure of something, you have another as a reference."

Back