Logo

Electric shift water pump

cap10mac

"Hello all,

Is the water th

"Hello all,

Is the water that is pumped through the outdrive water pump also used to cool the upper and intermediate as well as the provide water to the heat exchanger? A previous owner of this boat(1970 23' uniflite)installed a belt driven Johnson pump on the front of the engine(OMC/GM350)supplying water to the heat exchanger, it is tee'd into the water fitting coming out of the intermediate. There is very good flow from this johnson pump. My question would be, if the water being pumped through the outdrive is not used to cool, can I eliminate the impeller/water pump housing in the outdrive and get rid of some of the water in the drive causing the shaft to corrode. I know I need to reseal the upper and potentially replace the shafts in the upper, but if I can eliminate some of the water, maybe I can prevent future failures.

And what type of ballast resistor for this motor. can I just get one off the shelf at Napa or any auto parts store.

Thanks in advance"

[i]get rid of some of the wate

get rid of some of the water in the drive causing the shaft to corrode
can you explain what shaft is corroding?

Are you saying your upper unit has milky oil?

I believe the water does critically cool the upper gear case. Not so much in the intermediate.

"Thanks for the response Hy.

"Thanks for the response Hy.

Yes, the oil is milky but that should be squared away with a reseal.

I have an old, spare drive that I have taken apart to see how it works. the splines on the pump shaft are very worn and the splines on the "receiving" end of the drive shaft are gone. Which would explain why the guy that gave me that drive said the motor would rev. up but the prop would not turn....appears the drive shaft was just spinning around the pump shaft.

The drive I have installed now is the one with the milky oil. after reading many posts I am anticipating something similar with the shafts in this drive, but hoping for the best.

Had the boat out this weekend and at 1800 RPM it felt like it was slipping out of gear. No clunk but just no power, once you backed off the throttle it was ok and you could make way, so I am thinking maybe spun prop or could it be low type C oil in the lower? I hope it is not "worn" splines like in the spare drive. I will pull it out of the water this weekend and check all the fluids."

only way you are going to &#34

only way you are going to "get rid of some of the water" around the vertical driveshaft is to leave the boat on the trailer.
Or start boating in vats of other liquids.

The necessity of grease on those splines has nothing to do with cooling water flow.
It's just a coincidence that that shaft also happens to drive the impeller.

I have the Johnson pump on my

I have the Johnson pump on my 1970 boat for 7 years now thru hull pickup and it works fine. As FOR THE slipping check the small shaft 10" or so the splines may be worn

Back