Logo

Shifting Problem

blueagletalon

I just got my lower unit back

I just got my lower unit back together with some help from a friend. we got all the lube put back in and started itup. we got reverse to wrk rine but when we go to put it in forward it acts like it not enguageing all the way. if u grab the shift fork it will go right in. we tried to adjust the cable but it did not wrk. we also noticed that the shift lever has some movement up and down . alot. so we think that has somehting to do with it. i have a manual on line but its not the same unit as on my boat. mt baot is a 1987 thompson with the 165 mercruise 3.7 liter. any suggestions.

My 1987 4.3L w/Alpha 1 OD Merc

My 1987 4.3L w/Alpha 1 OD Merc. factory manual says to have both in forward gear when assembling. Try again.

If you seperated the lower fro

If you seperated the lower from the upper with the upper still attached then you might be able to reinstall lower in neutral.

The purpose of having the lower in forward is to allow the spinning of the vertical drive shaft to align the splines.

Along with turning the shift shaft to the 12:00 oclock position is to align the bronze shift link with it in the 12:00 position also.

To remove the entire outdrive from the gimbal housing a merc ALPHA MUST be in forward.

Bravo drives are left in neutral due to the shift cable to shift linkage release mechanism.

Back