Logo

Ballest resistor

"Ok I see it there with wires

"Ok I see it there with wires going to it from the coil and distributor, but what is it for???? What does it do and why does some boats have them and some dont????"

While the engine is cranking i

While the engine is cranking it give more voltage to the coil to get it started. Once started it reduces voltage to reduce wear on points and ignition parts. Newer electronic ignition systems just dont require them since the ecm modules control them

"Ok, so I replaced the points

"Ok, so I replaced the points with an electronic conversion kit.Does it still have to be there if the points are gone?"

The ballast resistor goes with

The ballast resistor goes with the 9 volt volt you now have. You can toss both out and install a 12 volt coil.

Jeff

Thanks for the info. I put new

Thanks for the info. I put new coils in when I put in the conversion but not sure if were 12 volt or not. if they were 12 volt will it hurt???

"If the coil needs a resistor

"If the coil needs a resistor and you install the coil w/o the resistor, excessive current will flow thru the coil and its life may be shortened (Gets too hot and damages insulation inside).

If the coil does not need a resistor and a resistor is installed, it won't "hurt" the coil. that said, the coil's output will be reduced and performance may decrease."

Back