Logo

Honda 225 Changing oil filter

chawk_man

Silver Medal Contributor
"Yesterday is about the fourth

"Yesterday is about the fourth time I've changed to oil filter on my 225, and the fourth major mess. I've tried shop towels and wads of paper towels under the filter to try to keep the oil from running down through the engine - no joy in Honda land.

Do any of you folks have a better way to change the oil filter without making such a dang mess?"

"I generally do not do many oi

"I generally do not do many oil changes, but when I do I seem to get the same mess because I am doing several other things at the same time. Now that I think about it, have you tried raising the engine? That way the oil filter is facing up, very little mess there. I am not sure of the the residual from the engine...at least it would not oooz down the engine.
Would this work?"

"Mike - simply tilting the eng

"Mike - simply tilting the engine up will not do the trick, alone. However, that suggestion has given me an idea, I will try to fabricate an aluminum sheet metal slew that will fit underneath the lip of the filter base, extending beyond the filter base and secure it in place with a rubber strap wrapped around the back of the engine. Then tilt the engine half way up. As the filter comes off, the oil should spill down the slew into a container. If it works, I'll send pictures. Will wait until the next oil change."

"Hey Bill, how about raising t

"Hey Bill, how about raising the engine, then place a tray under the filter, then using a centre punch & hammer put a breather hole in the end of the filter at the top, then a drain hole at the end of the filter at the bottom to drain it before removal. Then you should only need a rag to catch the dribble when removing it.
Bob"

Bob - quick and simple. That&#

Bob - quick and simple. That's an excellent idea. Thanks. I'll try that next time and let you know.

perfect timing I am changing f

perfect timing I am changing filter tommorrow thanks all will try the punch hole trick

Let us all know what you did a

Let us all know what you did and how it worked. I haven't had a chance to try those techniques yet.

"we'll I tried the hole pu

"we'll I tried the hole punch but put it in side of filter made more of a mess when I spinned filter off, so I reverted to what worked for me in past. I used a big mouth funnel in which I shoved under and around filter as I spinned filter with motor tilted up oil drined in funnel to oil pan, made very little mess. but diffentently need rags underneath to catch residule drips. looked up what I paided for honda 10w30w oil a few years back 3.50 a quart, this time I bought penzoil 16 quarts at 2.77 each then 21.00 for two filters so whole job cost me around 70.00 for two motors alot better then shop fees so a little mess is worth it."

"Thanks - Roger that on the ho

"Thanks - Roger that on the holes in the filter.

BTW - The Honda branded marine oil is now around $7.50 per quart in this neck of the woods - that's $60.00 just for the oil on one 225, and since I always change the filter too, plus new O rings for the gear case drains, I'm looking at well over $100.00 for parts and materials every 100 hours. Plus, a full day labor to pull the boat, grease all the the grease points, pull & clean fuel filters, drain VST, etc, ect. But as long as the motor is under warranty, I guess I'll stick with the Honda branded oil, although I'm not sure what advantages that really has."

"For Honda to require use of t

"For Honda to require use of their branded oil for warranty support, they would be required to GIVE you that oil.

They can require that your oil meet quality/performance standards, but not that it be any particular brand.

This would apply to your filters as well."

Back