Logo

Flywheel cover bolt

oldshore

Contributing Member
"Would anyonw know what size T

"Would anyonw know what size Torx bolt this is? It is inside the flywheel cover, at 11 o'clock in the pix, and I assume it must be removed to remove the flywheel cover.
I would rather not buy a whole set of sockets. The motor is a 2003 5.7L Captain's Choice
Thanks,
Jay
291609.jpg
"

"Am I the only one who HATES t

"Am I the only one who HATES that miserable Torx crap! (Probably not.)

If you don't want to buy a set of those infernal sockets, then drill the head of that bolt and pull the parts off. You can then remove the shank with Vise Grips.

Jeff

PS: Looks like about a 40 mm."

"The parts listing shows it as

"The parts listing shows it as "SHCS".

That usually translates into Socket Head Cap Screw; have you tried an Allen Wrench yet?

I really can't see enough detail in the pic to discern it being a TORX type.

Yes, gotta pull it to get the cover off."

"This is definitely a solid bo

"This is definitely a solid bolt head, no recess for Allen wrench. Bolt is fluted on the outside, like for a Torx socket. I guess I will get a few from Sears, and return the ones that don't fit."

"If its fluted (6) on

"If its fluted (6) on the outside, you have an external TORX head on the bolt. You'll wanna get a socket with a size indicator of E-##.

If I had to guess, I say get an E-12 or an E-14. You can always return once the bolt's loose, too."

"There are about 12 shallow fl

"There are about 12 shallow flutes on the outside. Looks like a triple square or XZN type. However, the only bolts I can find, looking on-line, have the shape cut into the head, not on the outside. Weird."

"Jay:

If there are 12 flute

"Jay:

If there are 12 flutes on the head, a 'regular' 12 point socket will take it off. Just gotta fine the one that fits."

Back